LL-L "Literature" 2012.10.04 (04) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 5 03:34:19 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 04 October 2012 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc luc.hellinckx at gmail.com

Subject: LL-L "Literature"

Beste Ron,

You wrote:

 In real haiku, it is at least as important to allude to the season and to
make the whole thing into a "snapshot," a momentary burst of awareness of
impermanence. Many Westerners consciously try to build in allusions of the
philosophical or moral kinds, also refer to their emotions directly, none
of which has a place in haiku.

That is, because, as everybody knows, every Westerner is the center of the
whole universe...by definition. The universe complies with "our" standards.
;=)))

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Literature

Thanks, Luc.

Although I would probably not put it as harshly tongue-in-cheek as you did,
I think you got to the bottom of it.

Real haiku <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku> are not "me poems" *à **
l'occidentale*. They are "aha! poems." They do not seek to moralize or
explain. They merely observe. The writer accepts his or her insignificance
and the impermanence of life and of the world, an awareness triggered by
momentary encounters with certain sights, smells or sounds. Even if these
are man-made, the natural world is at least implied and "trumps" (for
instance early snow covering a pair of left-behind gardening gloves in one
of my haiku <http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hahn_haiku-en.php> -- though I
wouldn't consider mine exemplary by any stretch of the imagination).

If a poem with Haiku meter does not directly deal with season and nature
but instead deals with humanity, especially with the state, weaknesses and
folly of humanity, namely constitutes a social comment, then it is a *senryū
* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senry%C5%AB> (川柳, literally "river
willow"); e.g. one written by Senryū Karai (柄井川柳, 1718-1790): 泥棒を *dorobō wo
*捕えてみれば *toraete mireba*我が子なり *wagako nari*Literally: "the robber / when/as
you catch (him) / turns out to be your child/son" (my translation).

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com