LL-L "Literature" 2012.10.23 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 23 10:21:03 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 23 October 2012 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Tom Mc Rae thomas.mcrae at bigpond.com <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L Edinburgh Based Book Review

Book Review
'Paying For It'
by Tony Black
Black is the latest in a series of authors writing Edinburgh based crime
novels.
This is his first and three more follow about his main character Gus.
Once a top journalist, now a near derelict alcoholic and chain smoker he
makes Rebus look like Snow White.
He gets involved in brutal murders and with bent cops yet at times shows
there is a caring compassionate human beneath his awful external character.
Like Ian Rankin he reveals the dark side of a seemingly picturesque tourist
city but takes us even deeper into the hidden evil that is as old as this
ancient Royal Borough.
In this novel he gets involved with Russian Mafia backed by senior police
yet wends his booze soaked path to solutions.
I have just finished his second novel 'Gutted', even better in my opinion
with a real punch of an ending.
If bad language offends you avoid this author but as an ex citizen I assure
you virtually everybody swears in Edinburgh.
You may be confused by some local words.
Scoosh those days refers to any spirit but in my day it was slang for
carbonated soft drinks, Jakey Look is a perversion of the original Jakealoo,
this refers to a derelict alcoholic and may be from the time of Regent
Marie de Guise adapted from Jacques a l'haut (jack on high).
Best Regards
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia
Let every man be respected as an individual and no man idolised.
–Albert Einstein

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com