LL-L "Members" 2012.10.30 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 30 18:48:00 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 30 October 2012 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net
Subject: LL-L "Members" 2012.10.29 (03) [EN]

The storm knocked out our power last night, but it just came back on a few
minutes ago (6:45 AM on Tuesday) – it was out for about 13 hours. I haven’t
been outside yet to check for property damage, but we are safe. Thanks for
everyone’s concern.

Kevin Caldwell
Laurel, Maryland

----------

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com

Here in Nepal, and in much of India as well, Feast of the Sacrifice is
normally referred to as "Bakr-Eid"... Goat Id/Festival, since goats
are the usual sacrifice.

AND, as last week "we" in Nepal just celebrated Vijaya Dasami
(Dasain), the biggest Hindu festival of the year hereabouts, and that
festival traditionally involves sacrifice of an animal: water buffalo
for people rich enough, but for most people a goat, so I am not sure
there are any goats left alive in the country ;-)

"We' Buddhists (i.e. my  Gurung landlord's family upstairs and me)
weren't totally spared ... I noticed some blood  "decorating" the
entryway to the building... evidentally the Hindu tenants downstairs
did the "honours" ;-)
> al-’Aḍḥá< http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_al-Adha>(عيد
> الأضحى, Feast of the Sacrifice, a.k.a. Kurban Bayramı, Qurban bayramı,
> Gurban
> Baýramy, Корбан бәйрәме, Ҡорбан байрамы, Kurban bajram, Курбан бајрам,
> Курбан-байрам, عید قربان, Cejna Qurbanê, جەژنی قوربان, Hari Raya
> Aidiladha, ঈদুল
> আজহা, Корбан бәйрәме, Иди Қурбон, بقرعید, قۇربان ھېيت, Құрбан айт, 古爾邦節 [
> 古尔邦节]).*

mwm || *U*C> || mike || माईक || мика || マイク (aka Dr Michael W Morgan)
sign language linguist / linguistic typologist
academic adviser, Nepal Sign Language Training and Research
NDFN, Kathmandu, Nepal
* *

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com