LL-L "Lexicon" 2013.04.08 (03) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 8 23:18:06 UTC 2013

 L O W L A N D S - L - 08 April 2013 - Volume 03
 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Genealogy

Heather, you wrote:

Can the Forum help me ( yet) again with the possible origin of a word
- or rather a name.

In a
neighbouring village we have records going back to the 13th century of
 someone called GUMBERN  or GUMBORN    He is on one occasion recorded as
GUMBERNUS PAPA (mid 13th century) and GUNBERNUS LE WILDE

I have even found a reference of GUMBERN WYKING

This strikes me as Norse/ Danish rather than Anglo-Saxon. Would you
agree?

 I found the following
reference<http://books.google.com/books?id=lmYjAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA70&lpg=PA70&dq=gumbern+names&source=bl&ots=omTf_en44D&sig=2-J38PgqjIPRdpkz9s9hKL5KgJg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0ExjUezbMsK3iwK4vICwAw&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=gumbern%20names&f=false>
:

*Gumborn Farm*, in Grimley, A.S. p. n. *Gumbeorn* (*guma*, a man,* beorn*,
a warrior). The name appears in S.A. of 1275 in Hallow and other places,
and in 1327 in Warndon as *Gumbern* and *Gumbarn*.

I hope this helps.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com