LL-L "Genealogy=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=8B=22_?=2013.04.09 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 9 17:18:08 UTC 2013

 L O W L A N D S - L - 09 April 2013 - Volume 01
 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Genealogy​" 2013.04.08 (03) [EN]

Thanks Ron, but it is exactly that farm whose origins I am
researching!!!!
Originally
Gumbern is recorded in Peachley which is a district of Hallow/Grimley.
He / the family then seem to have moved to Grimley where a farm still
bears his name.

I am now plumbing the depths of the remarkable Worcester Cathedral
library, located high above the nave in the cathedral, accessible only
through a tiny door and then by a steep spiral stone staircase but with
a very modern electronic entry system! The records of Hallow / Grimley
go way back and the name Gumbern/us leaps out of the parchment as being
very unusual. Together with the recently located Gumbern Wyking and
others of that name I am trying to find evidence for the origin of his
name. Was he a Danish settler in the time of Canute/Knut? Or a lone
Viking who fell in love and stayed on? Or is it a know Norman name
descended from the Scandinavian?

The Danes have a chequered history in Worcester. They raided the city
and were repelled. One prisoner was skinned and his skin nailed to the
west door of the cathedral as a warning to any who might follow!

Then of course after Ethelred the Unready  we had a Danish king in
Canute/Knut - so maybe he was a follower?

Or may be it is just an unusual Norman name?

 Help!

 best wishes

 Heather

From: Douglas Hinton <douglas.hinton at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Genealogy" 2013.04.08 (01) [EN]

My opinion is that Gumborn means "child of Gum" or "children of Gum".
Certainly the name can be derived from Danish, or Norwegian. "Barn" in
danish means child and "Boern" means children.  Douglas