LL-L "Phonology=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=8B=22_?=2013.04.19 (03) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 19 22:44:47 UTC 2013

 L O W L A N D S - L - 19 April 2013 - Volume 03
 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
From: Mark and Ruth Dreyer <mrdreyer at telkomsa.net>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2013.04.17 (01) [EN]

 Dear Ron:

Subject: LL-Lanuages: Phonology.

A propos the word "beyond"; You wrote:

"By the way, I assume that the root is **yon*."

Duly spurred, there my be a smaaall degree of distance between a word I
occasionally use & its actual dictionary meaning, I hied me off to my
Chambers & read, 'Yon (now dialect or poetic) adjective, 'that', 'those'.'

Tolkien harnessed the same in Sam Gamgee's comic song with the lines,

'Then up came Tom with his big boots on,
Says Uncle Tom pray what is yon,
for it looks like the bone o'my nuncle Tim,
as should be lying in a graveyard, paveyard, caveyard.' &c...

Regards,
Mark

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com