LL-L "Symbols" 2013.04.29 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 29 18:26:04 UTC 2013

 L O W L A N D S - L - 29 April 2013 - Volume 01
 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Baronowsky <paulb1 at insightbb.com>
Subject: LL-L "Symbols" 2013.04.28 (01) [EN]

On 4/28/2013 8:27 PM, Roger Thijs wrote:

While walking on Prospect Mira in Moscow past Fiday some youngsters were
> distributing silky ribbons with orange and black strokes. I undersdood
> they were linked to the festivities of May 9th (end of WWII), but I saw
> some military already wearing them now. Is this the equivalent for WWII
> with the red poppies one wears in the UK in November for WWI.
> Does anybody kwow what the colors orange (yellow? gold?) and black mean?
> Are these ribbons also used in other countries?

It is called the St. George Ribbon.

An interesting explanation (in English, if one connects from a US ISP) can
be found on this Russian internet site:
< http://rt.com/news/st-george-**ribbon-action/<http://rt.com/news/st-george-ribbon-action/>>
I present four short excerpts to answer the questions:

"...the striped ribbons have been circulating throughout Russia and far
beyond, reaching Europe, the Middle East, America and even Australia!"

"Starting from April 22, Russians may see a particular orange and black
striped ribbon appearing on cars, posters, bags, purses and many other
places. The ribbon consists of a bicolor pattern, with three black and two
orange stripes."

"The black and orange stripes of the ribbon symbolize the smoke and flames
of war. In tsarist Russia, it decorated the Order of St George – the
highest possible military award."

"Nowadays in Russia, the Order of St George remains the most prestigious
military honor."

Thank you for posting this, Roger. IMO, it was an interesting fact to learn
about.

MfG, Paul Baronowsky

From: Hannelore Hinz <hannehinz at t-online.de> <hannehinz at t-online.de>
 Subject: LL-L Symbols

Hallo Lowlanners.

Hier man blot 'n lütten Anfang in uns' Rund':

http://www.mara-thoene.de/html/farbensymbolik.html

Ick mak mi noch later 'n Kopp...

Hanne