LL-L "Idiomatica" 2013.12.02 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 2 19:08:39 UTC 2013

L O W L A N D S - L -  02 December 2013 - Volume 02

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Pat Barrett <pbarrett at cox.net>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2013.12.01 (03) [EN]

It’s about 10:30 at night here in Arizona, USA, and I just saw this. I have
heard the phrase. I googled it but found nothing and looked in Juba To Jive
but didn’t find it. I’ll look more tomorrow, but I asked my wife, who was
raised in a very traditional Black culture in East Texas and here in
Arizona. She’s heard it but not so much from young people I offered her two
interpretations and she said, “Both”. No help there. So here are mine:
one is an overt reference to being Black, something like “Since I am Black,
I know I’ll have to put up with this sh*t, so.....” The other is just a
saying, a way of stressing that it’s going to be forever since I have
always been Black and always will be Black. In the U.S. Blacks are acutely
aware of being Black and it is something they are reminded of constantly by
the reactions of Whites. My wife and I will have been married 50 years next
June and, as a White person, I’ve seen all the changes in our society but
the racism is still alive and well. I tend toward the latter view, that
it’s just a saying similar to many among Black people that stress their
color. It is life-determining despite the uplifting “you can be anything
you want” sermons.
If I find anything concrete, I’ll post it.
Pat Barrett

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com