LL-L "Etymology" 2013.12.06 (01) [EN-NL]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 6 18:08:54 UTC 2013

L O W L A N D S - L -  06 December 2013 - Volume 01

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <roerd096 at PLANET.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2013.12.03 (01) [NL]

As far as I know, pronunciation of s- before voiceless stops in Dutch was
never (mentioned as) sh but always s.
Maybe the fact that many crew members, colonists and soldiers on Dutch
ships were originally Germans has something to do with this?
In case of Russian "shtyurman" < stuurman, the fact that Dutch uu is
pronounced as German üü, or French u, has to do with it? Russian doesn't
have the üü but has yu, just like English pronounce French u as  ew in
French derived words.

Hartelijk gegroet, Ingmar Roerdinkholder

 From: Theo Homan <[log in to unmask]>

[...]

 In de 17de eeuw was het in Vlaanderen in elk geval nog een "zuivere" S en
NIET  "SJ" !
[...]

Uiteraard geloof ik je.
Maar... hoe weet je dit?
 Of -sorry- waar heb je dit gelezen?

 vr.gr.
Theo Homan

From: Roger Thijs <[log in to unmask]>

As to st -> sjt (orthography as in Dutch)

 In my Limburgish st is pronounced as s+t (as in Dutch)

 Just the Dutch "sch" is pronounced as "sj" (or the way "sch" is pronounced
in German) in my village (just East of the isogloss "Panninger Linie").

Today I was at an event in FFaM and I could not resist to do a tour at the
Xmass shopping downtown There was even a stand with real "Belgische
Fritten".
 I bought in the Galleria a little book "Sprechen Sie Hessisch?" and I see
over there the sjt becomes sjd:

schdinge: stinken
Schdern: Stern
 Schdaa: Stein
Schdammkneib: Stammknepe.
 etc.

 As to the introduction the language used in the book is: "Frankfurter
Aussprache + hessischen Wortschatz"

Regards,
Roger

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com