LL-L "Language varieties" 2013.12.06 (03) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 6 23:17:42 UTC 2013

L O W L A N D S - L -  06 December 2013 - Volume 03

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>
Subject: English Dialects

Dear Lowlanders,

these days I came across this youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNfcoda8yKM

in which the actor Patric Stewart (Captain Picard from Star Trek Next
Generation) recites a poem in his home dialect from Huddersfield/Yorkshire.

It sounds interesting, but I don't understand a single word. Anyone around
who does?

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Thanks a lot for the above, Heiko.

Phonologically based, I get the general drift of the poem (something about
the narrator sitting at home while his/her parents are out visiting an ill
aunt?). But as far as most of the specific vocabulary is concerned, I can
at best guess at its meaning.

Ingmar, thanks for the intro to "Belgian" sent earlier today. Are you sure
it isn't a hoax? (I for one would not be very amused if it were one.) What
is the source of your information? I found no reference to the variety
anywhere.

For those Lowlanders that are unfamiliar with the SAMPA system, I'll add an
attempted transliteration into actual IPA below.

Season's greetings!

Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA

++++

The Belgian Language

 Se Taing Bailige *[ʃə θæːn 'bæːlejə] *The Belgian Language. Whether it is
a highly divergent branch of Germanic (the real South Germanic) or an
intermediate between Celtic and Germanic (and Romance?) is still disputed.
Belgian is spoken in the Eastern part of The Ardennes region of Belgium, at
the border of Romance Walloon (French) and Germanic Franconian
(Dutch/Flemish, German, Limburgian, Luxemburgian, Rhenian Franconian). With
the latter three dialects it shares the pitch accent. Belgian dialects
are/were also spoken in exclaves in The Netherlands (Gulp and Geul Valleys
in Southern Limburg), Germany (Monschau; Auw bei Prüm), Luxemburg (North
and West of Troisvierges) and France (Givet)

 Nouns/genders:

 -Masc.

Ge gom   - eun gom – se gôem

*[ʝə gɔm - əŋɔm – sə ˇʝœːm]*

The man – a man – the men

 -Fem.

Se coim – eune coim – se coêim

*[sə kɥɛm - ənə kɥəm – sə ˇkɥɛːm]*

The woman – a woman – the women

 -Neut.

Te weir – eu weir – se vôwl

*[tə ɥɛːr - ə ɥɛːr – sə ˇvoʊɫ]*

The man (human) – a man (human) – the people

 NB: ^ over a long vowel or a diphthong indicates accent 1 (Schleifton,
Schärfung) [-/]  as in Limburgian, Luxemburgian and Rhenian Franconian.
Accent 2 (Stosston) is not indicated

 -Poss.

Mun gom – tun gom – sun gom – nusser gom – uyer gom – oer gom

Mai coim – toa coim – soa coim – nusse coim – uye coim – oere coim

My weir – tui weir – sui weir – nus weir – uy weir – oer weir

Mei vôwl – toi vôwl – soi vôwl – nusse vôwl – uye vôwl – oere vôwl

 *[mə̃ - tə̃ - sə̃ - ˈnøsɐ - ˈœʏɐ - œːr]*

*[mæ: - tʊa – sʊa – ˈnøsə - ˈœʏə - ˈœːrə]*

*[miː - tɥi – sɥi – nøs – œʏ – œːr]*

*[mɛː - tɥɛ – sɥɛ – ˈnøsə - ˈœʏə - ˈœːrə]*

 *ʃun [sə̃] – his, her, its (M)*

*ʃoa [sʊa] -  his, her, its (ɱ)*

*ʃui [sɥi]  -  his, her, its (N)*

*ʃoi [sɥɛ] - his, her, its (PL)*

 *ʃun hain [sə̃ hæ̃ː]  – his/her/its dog*

*ʃun hain aw y [sə̃ hæːnɔɪ] – his dog*

*ʃun hain aw ey [sə̃ hæːnəɥe] – her dog*

*ʃun hain aw tad [sə̃ hæːnədə]– its dog*

 -Pers. Pron.

Ew – mey – mech

*[eɥ – mɛɪ – mɛç]*

I – me – myself

 Tou – tey – tech

*[tuː - tɛɪ – tɛç]*

You – you – yourself  (thou – thee – thy self)

 Y – oen – sech

*[iː - œ̃ː - sɛç]*

He – him - himself

 Ey – ey – sech

*[ɛɪ – ɛɪ – sɛç]*

She – her – herself

 Tad – tad – sech

*[ta – ta – sɛç] ([tað] before a vowel)*

It – it – itself

 Mui – nus – nuch

*[mɥi – nøs – nøç]*

We – us – ourselves

 Ou – ou – uch

*[uː - uː - øç]*

You – you – yourselves (plural/polite)

 Eu - eu  - sech

*[øː - øː - sɛç]*

They - them – themselves

 -Pres. Verbs

To be

Suy ew – ses tou – es y – es ey – es tad – suy mui – seud ou – sund eu

*[sœɥ – sɛzə - ɛzə - ɛʒə – ɛsə – ˈsœʏmə – ˈsøːðə - ˈsønə]*

I am – you are (thou art) – he is – she is – it is – we are – you (pl.) are
– they are

 To have

Haw ew – hais  tou – haid y – haid ey – haid tad – haw mui – haud ou –
haund eu

*[haʊ – ˈhæːzə - ˈhæːðə - hæ ːdjə - ˈhæːdə - ˈhaʊmə – ˈhɔːðə - ˈhɔːnə]*

I have – you have (thou hast) – he has – she has – it has – we have – you
(pl.) have – they have

 To go

Way ew – wais tou – waid y – waid ey – waid tad – way mui – waed ou – waend
eu

*[waʊ – ɥæːzə - wɥæːðə - ˈɥæːdjə - ˈɥæːdə - ˈwaɪmə – ˈwaːðə - ˈwaːnə]*

 To come

Vaem ew – vais tou – vaind y – vaind ey – vaind tad – vaem mui – vamed ou –
vaend eu

*[vaməɫ – væːzə - væːnə - væːɲə - væːndə - ˈvaːmə – ˈvaːndə - ˈvaːnə]*

 To do/make

Hoag ew – hois tou – hoich y – hoich ey – hoich tad – hoag mui – hoaged ou
– hoand eu

*[ˈɸʊajəɫ – ˈɸɥɛzə - ˈɸɥɛçə - ˈɸɥɛʃə - ˈɸɥɛjdə - ˈɸʊaːmə – ˈɸʊaːðə -
ˈɸʊanə]*

 To say/tell

Tech ew – tes tou – tech y – tech ey – tech tad – tey mui – teyed ou – tend
eu

*[tɛɟəɫ – tɛzə - tɛçə - tɛʃə - tɛɟdə - ˈteɪmə – ˈteɪðə - ˈtɛnə]*

 Suy ew eun gom augne hâul

*[səɥŋɔm ɔːɲə ˇhɔːɫ]*

I am a man from the hills

 Suy ew spôuseid geu mai coim eid haid ey mey bôereid heng gûy

*[sœɥ ˇspuːze ɟə mə kɥɛm ɛ hæːdjə mə ˇbœːre hɛŋˇœʏ]*

I’m married with my wife and she has given (birth to) me five children

 Tow gâes eid trey vêim. Daun suy mui trey gôem eid huirt coêim geu nus.

*[tɔʊ ˇgaːz ɛ trɛɪ ˇvɛ ːm dɔ̃ sœʏmə trɛɪ ᵻøːm ɛ pɥirt ˇkɥɛːm jø̃ːs]*

Two boys and three girls. So we are three men and four women at us.

 Haw mui ousui eun hain eid eune cat. Hais tou mey entaendeid?

*[haʊmə ɔɫˈsɥi ən hæːn ɛð ənə kat hæːzə mɛɪ əntæːne]*

We have also a dog and a cat. Have you understood me?

 Cuive mui igne Ho Vâign, ign' Ardôind.

*[ˈkɥiːvəm eɲə hoːˇvæːɲ eɲ aʀˇdɥɛn]*

We live in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes), in the Ardennes

 Eid haw mui bôw, eun tuir,  ôy, eun kauvel, eid pûet

*[ɛ haʊmə ˇbɔʊ əndɥir ˇɔɪ əŋ gɔːvəɫ ɛ ˇpʏːt]*

And we have cows, a bull, sheep, a horse and chickens

 Maich ain genoog ew nech ge naum aw gain gom

*[mæːɟ æ̃ː ɟəˈnoːjəɫ nɛç ɟə nɔːm aʊ ɟæˈŋom]*

But I don’t know the name of that man

 Eun tow trey huirt heng seys sucht ocht nuw tech 1 - 10

Undig taudig treidig hurdig hendig sedig soedig audig neudig weigend 11 – 20

Treigend hoegend haigend segend soegend augend neugend haend 30 – 100

*[ø̃ːt ðʊ trɛɪ pɥirt hɛŋ sɛɪs søçt ɔxt nøʊ tɛç]*

*[ˈøneç ˈtɔːðeç ˈtrɛːðeç ˈhørdeç ˈseːðeç ˈsœːðeç ˈɔːðeç ˈnøːðeç ˇɥɛːɟən]*

*[ˇtrɛːɟən ˇhœːɟən ˇhæːɟən ˇseːɟən ˇsœːɟən ˇɔːɟən [ɟə ɸɛʃ – tə ɸɥɛʃ – se
ɸɥɛːʃ]*

The fish (individual) – the fish (collective) – the fish (plural)

 S’awch – t’awch – s’âwch      (F – N – PL)

*[saʊx - taʊx ˇsaʊx]*

The water (ind.) – the water (coll.) – the waters

 Ge weir – te weir – se weir – se wêir – se vôwl   (M – N – F – PL – PL)

*[ɟə ɥɛːr tə ɥɛːr sə ɥɛːr sə ˇɥɛːr sə ˇvɔʊɫ]*

The person (M ind.), the person (N general), the person (F ind), the
persons (pl), the people (coll.)

 goad es y aed hoage?

*[gʊaðɛzɪaː ˈɸʊaːɟə]*

what is he doing?

 goand vaimed ou aed caut?

*[gʊan ˈvæːndʊaː kɔːt]*

when do you (pl.) come home?

 hoilige ledder hais tou scrîveid?

*[ˈɸɥɛlejə ˈlɛdɐ ˈhæːzə ˇʃkriːve]*

which letter have you (sgl.) written?

 hui waid agne stey te maing?

*[ɸɥi ɥæːð aɲə ʃtɛɪ dəˈmæːŋ]*

who'll go to town tomorrow?

 Gon sech neuve  se wygl ja?

*[gɔ̃ zɛɟ nøːf sə ɥiːλ ʒa]*

How does that village call itself  = What the name of that village?

 Hou es se skool aw toa vêim?

*[huː ɛsə skoːl aʊ tʊa ˇvɛːm]*

Where is the school of your daughters?

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com