LL-L "Etymology" 2013.02.04 (01) [EN-NL]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 4 18:05:55 UTC 2013

 L O W L A N D S - L - 04 February 2013 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

 From: Luc Vanbrabant <lucv32 at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2013.02.03 (01) [EN]

Hello,

In a book i am preparing about Dutch in France, i mentione this:

*BEFFROI (belfort)

INL (http://www.inl.nl/ ) doet het komen uit het Oudfrans: belefroi, berfroi

Larousse (diction.): Uit berg (bewaren) en frid (vrede) Nederlands: berg -
vrede (store to keep the peace)

De Sourdeval (diction.) doet het afstammen van bel- fryght (klok - alarm)
(verwant met het Engelse fright, angst)

Dan kan het ook komen van N: bel-vrede of bel-fresa, bel-frois (klok -
gevaar (vreze)
*
I think 'berg' has a good chance because on almost every 'belfort' there is
a dragon. This was a beast that guarded  symbolically the treasures of the
city. In this case the 'liberty letters'(?).

Indeed we use 'bel' for a very little bell. We also use 'schelleke' for a
little clock that sounds shrill.

Groetjes,
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene

> From: Roger Thijs rogerthijs at yahoo.com
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology"
>
> Hello,
>
> This is just a request for comments on the etymology of "belfort" and
"perron".

> In the West of the Southern Netherlands and in Nortth-Western France the
"belfort-beffroi-belfry" became a typical symbol of the freedoms of a town.
It was a bell tower in which the freedom charters of the town were
preserved.

> In the East of the Southern Netherlands the Pricipality of Liège, that
included Belgian Limburg, a perron served for the same symbol function.

> http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfort_(toren)
> http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belforten_in_Belgi%C3%AB_en_Frankrijk
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:World_Heritage_belfries_map.svg
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beffrois_de_Belgique_et_de_France
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_tower
>
> http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perron_(zuil)
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perron_(symbole)
> http://perso.infonie.be/liege06/06six1.htm
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perron_(architecture)
>
> The "bel" could be linkled to "bell", but the Dutch word for a large bell
is "klok". A normal "bel" in Dutch is the small thing you can hold in hour
hand or you have on your bike.

> In the village, I lived in though, the bell for the angelus was a small
one with a high pitch tone. I think the angelus practice (interrupting the
work in the fields three times a day for prayinng) - as well as the typical
sound - died in the mid fifties.
> In my head "angelus"
> http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelus_(gebed)
> connects to the painting by Millet
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jean-Fran%C3%A7ois_Millet_(II)_001.jpg
> as well as to these songs:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDs8L5LCXBc
> score: http://www.musikiwi.com/paroles/yvonneck-angelus-mer,45127.html
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEr-qmj8Tzw
> score: http://en.lyrics-copy.com/armand-mestral/le-credo-du-paysan.htm
>
> Back to the bell of the beffry, the most known in Flanders I guess is
"klokke roeland" in the beffry of Gent:
> song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy11JSVuixo
> score: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klokke_Roeland
>
> The English wikipedia gives:
> The word belfry comes from Old French berfrei which is derived from
Germanic *bergan "to protect" and *frithuz "peace";

> For perron is is less clear.
> The url at infonie.be gives:
> celle-ci est accotée d'une inscription explicative ainsi conçue : "Peru
Voc(or)" "je m'appelle Perron".
> In Dutch the word perron is better known for a railway platform.
> http://www.etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/perron
> brings it back to Greek: "ontwikkeld uit vulgair Latijn *petrone,
augmentatief van petra ‘steen’, ontleend aan Grieks pétrā ‘id.’, "
> Regards,
> Roger

> From: Roger Thijs rogerthijs at yahoo.com
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology"
>
> I see in my "sent" that the final ")" bracket is not included in some of
the url links.
> Please corerct if necessary.
> Sorry for the inconvenience.
> Roger

Send commands (including “signoff lowlands-l”) to
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com