LL-L "Etymology=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=8B=22_2013.02.15_=E2=80=8B=2801=29_?=[EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 15 19:14:32 UTC 2013

 L O W L A N D S - L - 15 February 2013 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2013.02.14 ?(04) [DE-NDS]

Utz and Heiko and some Dutch speaking Lowlanders, please help out the
Hausfrau in me,****

Are you guys talking about a (D) “ragebol”..?  I (dumb me) thought that
“Flederwish” was a (E) “feather duster” in the shape op of wing. It also
seemed a good thing to take an “owls wing” for this purpose, because it was
strong. It seemed me handy to get spider webs and such out of narrow
corners. ****

I am very befuddled,****

Jacqueline BdJ (who hates house work)****

Seattle, US ****

----------

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>

from Heather Rendall   heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

re Eulenflügel

Perhaps this found under a history of feather dusters might help.

"To make brushes for the hearth and the stove, wings still bearing
their feathers from geese, chickens, and turkeys were popular "wing
dusters," although they had to be kept from cats and dogs and were also
meals for insects and moths."

 Both my husband and I can recall, but without detail, goose wings being
spoken of as having been used in this context too i.e. for sweeping /
dusting / cleaning in the house.

 I would imagine the incredible lightness of owl's feathers might make
them attractive as 'feather dusters' as they could be used round
delicate objects as well.

 Our ancestors were known for not wasting a thing : so breast feathers
for pillows and cushions: tail feathers for normal heavy duty dusters
and entire wings as 'brushes'.  Also used to decorate large hats of the
19th century!!!

 Heather

Send commands (including “signoff lowlands-l”) to
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com