LL-L "Etymology=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=8B=22_?=2013.02.16 (03) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 16 22:41:59 UTC 2013

 L O W L A N D S - L - 16 February 2013 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Pat Barrett <pbarrett at cox.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2013.02.16 (02) [DE-EN-NL]

Just for the sake of completeness, I always called that broom with a handle
just long enough to fit into your hand a “whisk broom”. I came from Ohio
and have lived in AZ most of my life.
Pat Barrett

----------

From: R.F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Lowlanders,

Bringing two threads together ... As most of you must know, English
"window" and Scots *winda ~ windae ~ winnock* originally meant "wind-eye".
In Low Saxon (Low German), *Windoog *[ˈvɪˑntˌʔoːɣ] ("wind-eye") denotes a
hole at the top of a gable under the peak of a roof (as in Old Saxon farm
houses). I believe that originally it served as a smoke escape.

Apparently, there is no direct connection between the two. Old English got
it from Old Norse *vindauga*, which replaced older Old English
*eagþyrl*("eye-hole") and
*eagduru* ("eye-door").

Question 1: Was the Old Norse *vindauga* a new item to British culture? If
not, why did this word replace the existing English words?

Question 2: Is the Low Saxon (Low German) *Windoog* the same as the Low
Saxon (Low German) *Ulenflucht* ([ˈʔuːlnˌflʊxt] "owl's flight")? If not,
was is the difference?

Thanks in anticipation!

Seattle, USA

Send commands (including “signoff lowlands-l”) to
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com