LL-L "Idiomatic=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=8Ba=22_?=2013.07.22 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 22 17:38:14 UTC 2013

 L O W L A N D S - L - 22 July 2013 - Volume 01
 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs <rogerthijs at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2013.07.18 (01) [EN]

In my Lonerland Limburgish from Vliermaal:

For "please":
The common or rather impolite form:
"dè" a kind of vocative form of "doeë" = in Dutch "daar"
"dè" comes close to the Dutch "ziedaar";
similar to the French "voilà", that still sounds polite when one complètes
as "voilà Madame", "voilà Monsieur".

The polite form:
asteblif (Dutch: alstublieft, if it to you pleases) for both singular as
plural
generally also completed as "asteblif meneer", "asteblif madam" "asteblif
mammezel" (= mademoiselle).
Young guys become immediately "meneer", while young ladies, especially when
not married, pass trough an intermediate state of "mammezel".

For "thank you:
"mèrseej" (cf. the French "mersi";
it is not uncommon to diphtongize ending e or i vowels as well in East
Walloon as in Southern Limburgish.

When offering food, one adds generally:
"Lut het oech smoake" ("lut" is the imperative form of "loeëte", Dutch
"laten")
"Oech" sounds similar to "euch" in German, but it is used in both singular
as plural, so as "u" can be used for both in Dutch.

When offering drinks:
"Sonteej" not nazalized in Vliermaal, it is nazalized though by some in
Tongeren 5 miles to the South (cf. French "Santé" nazalized)

Regards,
Roger

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com