LL-L "Travels" 2013.07.28 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 29 01:06:35 UTC 2013

 L O W L A N D S - L - 28 July 2013 - Volume 01
 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs <rogerthijs at yahoo.com>
Subject:  LL-L Travel

We had some exchanges on travel in this group before. Let's see if it is
still active.

I'm looking for suggestions
I'm participating at a conference of the IEEE in Vancouver on Sept. 11-13.
I'm staying at the Delta, 550 West Hastings
The conference is across the street in the Harbour Centre. (I would rather
write Harbor Center, but the Canadians .....)

I arrive on Sept 9 in the evening.
So I have the 10th for visiting Vancouver (+ jetlag recup).
Suggesstions are welcome.

I'm returning home, leaving on Sept 15 in the morning.
On the 14th I take a trip to Seattle:
Amtrak Cascades 6:40 am -> 11:05 am
and back 6:50 pm -> 10:50 pm
I reserved for Underground Seattle at 12 pm.
I don't know how long that tour will take.

Thanks ahead for all good advice.

Regards,
Roger
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Travels

Hi, Roger!

What wonderful news about you visiting our area again!

I'm sure other people have more information than I do.

Let me just say that I've spent a lot of time in
Vancouver<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZvbVzIMQbw>(BC, Canada),
and it's one of my favorite cities. It's one of the closes
North America has to a "European city". Robson Street in downtown, all the
way up to English Bay. (Part of that street is known as Robsonstraße,
because that neighborhood used to be home to many German immigrants. For
people-watching, I recommend Granville Island with its artist studios,
theater and a terrific market.

There's good East Asian food in Vancouver (being North America's "sushi
capital"). If you like good, affordable Chinese food, eat at Hon's on
Keefer Street in Chinatown (not the one in downtown!). Also try the French
Canadian signature dish *poutine <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine>*.
You as a Belgian might actually enjoy it (while I am not too sure about it
...)

I believe the tour of Seattle's
underground<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1SKA6TasD4>takes about
one hour. (Careful! The place is said to be haunted ...)  I'm
not yet sure what my teaching schedule will be like, but, if you have the
time, I'd love to have lunch of dinner with you somewhere. It would be
really nice to see you again.

Let's communicate about the details of that privately.

Best regards,
Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com