LL-L "Resources=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=8B=22_?=2013.06.28 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 28 07:15:46 UTC 2013

 L O W L A N D S - L - 28 June 2013 - Volume 01
 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Tom Mc Rae <thomas.mcrae at bigpond.com>
Subject: LL-L re Resources

On 28th June  Chris Hunt wrote..

I'm trying to contact Tomas Mc Rae, the author of "The Life and Very Hard
Times of William McGonagall" on your website at

http://lowlands-l.net/history/mcrae_mcgonagall.php

I have responded direct to him as follows and here is a copy for Lowlands
members info.

Hi Chris,

I received your email via LOWLANDS-L.

I saw the booklet on sale in the kiosk of the old Edinburgh Palladium
theatre many years ago when it put on James Bridie's play based on McG "Gog
and McCog" during an Edinburgh Festival. Title of booklet was 'The New
McGonagall' I had a quick glance at the time but as it had none of Oor
Wullie's verse in it I did not purchase it.

I did however use the title as my stage name when I acted his role on the
walkways at World EXPO 88. As The New McGonagall

I recited some of his classics plus some of my own including "Funnel Web
Spiders".

In my intro I recounted how it all started when I decided to invoke
Shakespeare to channel new material through me after I read about a woman
who got composers to write new music this way. I laid my hands on my
computer and said "Hail William, greatest bard of all time. Possess me now
and produce new works". When I came out of the trance my hard drive was
full of poetry but by William McGonagall who has been with me ever since.

At least that's the yarn I spun when performing at EXPO 88 and I only
auditioned for that as a dare when someone told me they wanted eccentrics
on the Walkways. Next thing I knew I was booked and he went over well.
Initially I planned to do his comic song despite its impossible metre and
actually did so with great effect at rehearsals but never actually
performed it as I was worn out by the end of my act.

A selection of stuff he should have written is on my website including The
Battle of Little Bighorn and Burke & Hare.

Born in Edinburgh I was introduced to McG by my English teacher and have
not looked back since.

Best Regards
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia

*Let every man be respected as an individual and no man idolised.*
* –Albert Einstein*

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com