LL-L "History" 2013.05.02 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 2 19:14:26 UTC 2013

 L O W L A N D S - L - 02 May 2013 - Volume 02
 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2013.05.01 (01) [NL​]

Dear Dick,

you write: "After 4 generations of queens, a king is quite refreshing."
Hello? You have a queen now, too. But you had no king until now for 4
generations. And the reason is: a striking form of sexism discriminating
against men!

If I marry a king, I become queen, right? (Not that I intended to.) If you
happen to marry a queen, you become ... prince consort. Now what is this?!
Let me guess: The thought that lies beneath is: If there is a king, he is
the one who calls the tune, period. If there is a queen, well it
depends.... A queen is harmless, she maybe just decoration. The title of
king confers power, the title of queen confers ... nothing. -- Is it after
all once more a sexism discriminating against *women*?

Anyway, I think it is time, if not to do away with monarchies anyway, at
least to install symmetry in titles. The couple on the throne should be the
king an queen, or the queen and king, and not the queen and her jester or
so. Supporting your spouse in power should be quite as respectable a job
for a man as for a woman, honoured by the same title. I can't imagine how
"modern monarchies" that take pains to ensure the right to
throne succession to first-born daughters can be so blind to this insulting
circumstance.

Your new reigning couple seems very likeable, and I wish you a good time
with them! Oranje boven (except in football ;-))!

Hartlich!

Marlou
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com