LL-L "Tradition=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=8Bs=22_?=2013.05.02 (03) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 3 03:13:00 UTC 2013

 L O W L A N D S - L - 02 May 2013 - Volume 03
 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
From: R.F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Thanks for asking about traditions involving lilies of the valley (*Convallaria
majalis*) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily_of_the_Valley>, Roger.

When I was a youngster in Northern Germany, this beautiful and fragrant
flower was seen as a symbol for high spring (in May), spiritually as a
symbol for coming of age.

It was customary for Lutheran teenagers (15~16) to hold or wear sprigs of
these flowers on their religious confirmation day. Typically, girls would
drape them over psalm books of Bibles they were holding, and boys would
have such sprigs affixed to the lapels of their (typically first) suits.

For all I know, this tradition may still be alive, at least in some areas.

*Convallaria majalis*
English: Lily of the valley
Frisian (W): *Maaieklokje*
Frisian (E): *Pingsterbloume, Kuutitte, Moaiklokje*
Low Saxon: *Maiklocken, Leerken, Lierk(en), Lilg, Lilgenkonfal(g),
Lilgenkunfal(g), Lill, Lily, Maibloom, Maibummel, *
*     Maienlill, Marienklocken, Ogenkruut,
Schillerlilg*<http://baseportal.de/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/BlumenEvers/main><http://baseportal.de/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/BlumenEvers/main>
Limburgish: *Meizäödsje*
Dutch: *Lelietje-van-dalen, Meiklokje*
German: *Maiglöckchen*