LL-L "Grammar" 2014.03.21 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 22 01:47:09 UTC 2014

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kevin Caldwell kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2014.03.21 (01) [EN]

May I propose [E]: I prepared to go slowly home thinking.

Kevin Caldwell

Laurel, MD

----------

From: Andy Eagle andy at scots-online.org

Ted wrote

> But when you say or write something which is intended to be
understood by any English (say) speaker, then it is a good idea
to adopt more formal and rigid constraints on your language use.
"Who's that pretty girl?" would be understood throughout the
English-speaking world; "Fa's yon bonnie quine?" would not.

Why would anyone want to write or perhaps even say "Fa's yon bonnie quine?"
when using English?

Scots is not English according to the ECRML
http://www.coe.int/t/dg4/education/minlang/default_en.asp

Using "Fa's yon bonnie quine?" in English would make as much sense as using
“Hvem er den smukke pige?”

Anyway, I suspect some commentators often conflate grammar with style and
register then gleefully display their ignorance for all to see.

Andy Eagle

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com