LL-L "Grammar" 2014.03.21 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 21 17:26:05 UTC 2014

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Steven Hanson ammurit at gmail.com
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2014.03.20 (01) [EN]

I was once one of those grammar Nazis.  Oddly enough, I was always more
accepting of ‘grammatical deviations’ when I encountered them in the
languages I studied, but heaven forbid there be any in English!  Now, after
I’ve dabbled in so many foreign languages, and as I’ve progressed further
and further along as something of an amateur linguist, I have a far better
understanding of language – what it is and how it works – and as such, it
seems to me that being a grammar Nazi is quite incompatible with being even
remotely interested in linguistics.  The two just don’t go hand in hand, in
my opinion, much to the contrary of the general population’s idea of what a
linguist is.

As far as whether they’re ruining the language or not, I’m inclined to say
no, simply because their ‘rules’ tend to be observed only by those people
who are in agreement with them, while the rest of us happily split our
infinitives and end our sentences with prepositions and so on.  I’ve always
thought it was a bit hypocritical of them to rail against the natural
progression of language as we see it in our day and age, even though they
seem fine with the same processes that changed Old English into Middle
English, and Middle English into Modern English, and everything in between
and still to come.

----------

From: "heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk" <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>

from Heather Rendall  heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

I saw this article at the weekend and was puzzled by one of the examples
given "You have to really watch him"   Were they really saying that this
was an example of a split infinitive?

Or what was it meant to show?

best wishes after a long absence

Heather