[Lowlands-l] Google Translate

Lowlands Languages & Cultures lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jul 21 08:39:51 UTC 2017

You would simply select “Low German/Plattdüütsch” from the list of available languages. The keyboards themselves are independent of the languages, and for each language you may have a range of keyboard options to choose from. This actually prompted me to check my own settings, and I noticed that SwiftKey now supports up to five languages, where they’d previously only supported up to three. This is why I have only used the Icelandic and Arabic keyboards to support Arabic, English, and Norwegian Bokmål languages. My Arabic is minimal, but I work in the Middle East and sometimes use Arabic words & phrases in messages to local friends. Likewise, the Icelandic keyboard allows for my occasional ð or þ needs but also provides æ, å, & ø for Norwegian, as well as all the diacritics I need for Spanish & French. The language support, per se, is the dictionary for autocorrect/predictive text, so absent a dedicated Low German keyboard, you should be able to use the standard German keyboard (or even Icelandic, for that matter) for Low German language support.

—
“Hatred does not end by hatred; hatred ends by love. This is the eternal law.” - Buddha

Mel Vassey, DVM, MPH
mel.vassey at gmail.com