various matters

Martha Ratliff ac6000 at WAYNE.EDU
Wed Feb 19 23:48:56 UTC 2014

Dear colleagues,

1)  I am sure that our Chinese friends know about the wonderful book by Chen Qiiguang published in 2012, but perhaps those in the west do not.  Thanks to the help of Andrew Hsiu (who has been doing interesting research on Na Meo and Mo Piu in Vietnam recently), I just received a copy: Miao Yao Yuwen 苗瑶语文 (Miao and Yao languages).

2) I have a question. I am now completing my second map study: the first was presented at our workshop in Singapore on HM sentential negatives and the second is on prenasalized stops across language families in Southeast Asia. I am wondering if anyone has established a database of geolinguistic information that includes latitude and longitude data for Miao-Yao/Hmong-Mien languages. I am using a web tool to find latitude and longitude numbers for HM languages one-by-one, but I have a suspicion that other people have already done this, and that I am, as the saying goes, re-inventing the wheel.

3) Finally, I have attached a publication on Hmong classifiers that appeared in the Journal of Psycholinguistic Research last year that may be of interest to some of you.

Greetings and belated Happy New Year wishes to all!

Martha

Prof. Martha Ratliff
Linguistics Program
Wayne State University