Words of Nahuatl Origin

John F. Schwaller schwallr at selway.umt.edu
Wed Dec 1 20:11:48 UTC 1999

At 11:07 AM 12/1/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>chocolate - as i know - from "xocolatl" ("atl"=water and "xokolli"="sour
>
>fruit", both are also nahuatl words)

There is an article which is appearing in Ancient Mesoamerica which
questions this etymology.  As I recall the authors conclude that the word
actually come from the use of the "molinillo" to stir up the chocolate for
drinking.  If anyone knows the reference I'd appreciate it.  I saw the
article under submission but don't know if/when it was ever published.

J. F. Schwaller

John Frederick Schwaller                             schwallr at selway.umt.edu
Associate Provost                                        406-243-4722
The University of Montana                           FAX 406-243-5937
                          http://www.umt.edu/history/NAHUATL/