Spanish/English Words w/Nahuatl Origin

Juergen Stowasser juergen.stowasser at univie.ac.at
Wed Dec 1 22:34:04 UTC 1999

--------------F96B0AC300655F77ED2E049A

some comments to "tetzcatlipoca`s list":

- "canica" doesn´t come from nahuatl but - according to the diccionario of the
"real academia espagnola" - from the dutch word for marble
- atole (atolli en nahuatl) is made of maize (at least in its original version)
- cochino doesn´t derive from nahuatl (the pig was brought by the spaniards, the
nahuatl term for pig is "pitzotl")
- elote is exactly the young, already eatable maize (and until today very
important in the festive cycle)
- escuincle seems to come from "itzcuintli" = dog and is mostly applied on
children when disturbing or making much noise etc (the usual words for child are
"nenetl, conetl, pipil, ichpochcaconetl etc" depending from age and sex)
- chillar (to cry) isn´t  nahuatl, but has its etymological roots in  latin
(cisclare)
- i´m not sure in the etxymology of  "nana" (the "diccionario nauatl-espagnol" del
instituto mexiquense 1994 mentions also "nanatli" as a  nahuatl term for
grandmother) but i think i can remember that i´ve heard also ppl from southamerica
using the word - so maybe its of spanish origin (i hope that some native speakers
from spain or southamerica could clear this up?!)

                                        con saludos cordiales, juergen stowasser

--
Juergen Stowasser
Burggasse 114/2/8

--------------F96B0AC300655F77ED2E049A

some comments to "tetzcatlipoca`s list":
of the "real academia espagnola" - from the dutch word for marble
version)
the spaniards, the nahuatl term for pig is "pitzotl")
very important in the festive cycle)
on children when disturbing or making much noise etc (the usual words for
child are "nenetl, conetl, pipil, ichpochcaconetl etc" depending from age
and sex)
roots in  latin (cisclare)
nauatl-espagnol" del instituto mexiquense 1994 mentions also "nanatli"
as a  nahuatl term for grandmother) but i think i can remember that
i´ve heard also ppl from southamerica using the word - so maybe its
of spanish origin (i hope that some native speakers from spain or southamerica
could clear this up?!)
con saludos cordiales, juergen stowasser
to our list of Nahuatl
is a
the words are just
I don't have time to
and
breakfast
piece of it
for, breast
crooked
the spanish word
for babies only
of the deserts
your buddy, your other self
a kite,
granmother, how this came from Nantli is a mystery
sleeping
straw you drink with
like stuff from Xalixco