Teoti:-hua-0-ca:-n

Accounts Clerk rcoleman at library.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 1 02:10:06 UTC 1999

G'day Antonio

>"The place where gods make themselves (from the impersonal of teoti, "to
>become a god")".

This translation "gods make themselves" would suggest that a noun-ified verb
is possible, perhaps a "self creator" or just a "creator" or a "god maker".
How does "place of the creators" sound?

> e.g. from
>com(itl)-chihua, "to make pottery", we have "con-chiuh-can", "place where
>they make pottery". In this case, no doubt that "ciuh-" is the root of a
>verb "to make" with incorporate object.

This example contains a preterite agentive noun: con-chi:uh-0-ca:-n - a
place where one makes pottery, a craftsman's shop.

Russell