suggestions for Indigenismo to nonindigenous audience

cristi at ix.netcom.com cristi at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 17 16:10:02 UTC 1999

> I am working on a project on general indigenous culture that will be
> presented to a diverse audience.  The project is for my work, so that I can
> teach my collegues about my interests.  I am looking for suggestions of what
> kinds of foods I should make as samples of what my ancestry created (so far I
> considered serving chocolate to keep them awake!) Any suggestions as to what
> else I should speak about, serve or teach that would be of interest to them?
> This will be the first time this audience has heard anything on the subject
> and unfortunately may be their last experience (if I can't help it).

Tortillas, salsa, turkey, rabbit, fish, mice (!), little dogs (!), cherries,
Spirulina, prickly pear cactus pads, squash, beans, avocadoes,
mushrooms, and amaranth.  Of the squash they would eat the fruit,
roast the seeds, and fry the blossoms.  They were quite fond of all
vegetables and fruits to be found in the area (which was most of
present Mexico, as they had many foods imported), and I suppose
that would include strawberries (wild, of course), tomatoes, and
tomatillos.  If you elect to serve chocolatl, be sure to flavor the
drink with vanilla and spices.  There were other exotic foods and
wild plants, but not that you could find in a modern city (whilst
mice and small dogs are plentiful).  heh.

Cristi