Dialect of Pomero info/key sentances

Michael Lindsley email at domain.com
Sat Mar 27 08:58:49 UTC 1999

Art Ludwig wrote:

> Dear Nahuatl Fans:
>
> I have the opportunity to help make a simple workbook for learning
> Nahuatl, Pomero dialect.  The workbook will be aimed at helping teachers

Hi ! I'm Michael Lindsley, and I'm working on a book about Michoacán.
I read with some interest your query in the NahuatL List concerning the
Pomaro dialect. Sounds like a very interesting project.Perhaps I can offer
a few suggestions
  I don' know what sort of arrangements you've made, but unless you are a
guest of drug traffickers or the military, I strongly advise against
actually staying in Pomaro. Ok to visit in daytime, but a bit iffy at
night.
Better to stay in Maruata, 18k below, on the coast. There you'll find
restaurants, camping facilities, and relative security. Also a large number
of elderly people who have fled the drug war in the hills. Most of the old
folks still speak Nahuat. The kids are also learning Nahuat in school, but
it is a modern variety, not much liked by the grandparents. Several people
you should meet in Maruata:

Cassiano Palacios, the maestro- he set up the program to re-introduce
Nahuat in the schools. Quite a nice man, he should be of invaluable
assistance to you

Don Elodio and Doña Martina- these kind folks run a pop stand/ candy shack/
camping compound behind the beach in Maruata. Best camping place, with the
best security. Elodio and Martina are a treasure of local lore, sort of
de-facto cultural custodians

Don Bruno- the patriarch of another beach compound. If you can get him to
talk, all will be revealed. Nati's cooking is excellent.

Try and get "the boys" interested. These are my pals- the dope smoking,
tourist hustling party animals who hang out at the beach. They all speak
some Nahuat, and will probably get you off to a good start. It also pays to
travel with these guys in the hills, might even save you getting your head
blown off by nervous dope growers.

Not to put you off, but there is real danger in the hills. A violent land
dispute between Pomaro and neighboring Coire seems to smolder on... I was
robbed at gunpoint within minutes of arriving in Coire territory. Don't go
to the beach in Colola !

You should check out some of the other towns nearby where Nahuat is spoken-
Ostula, Cachan, El Zapote de Tizupa. El Zapote is the closest thing I have
seen to what might be the surviving original culture. The people were kind
as they showed me out- I don't think they had seen too many gringos
stumbling through their gardens with huge backpacks...

I wish you luck. La gente de Pomaro are among the kindest and friendliest I
have ever met. Do try and offer what help you can.

You might meet Ted, a sixty year old Canadian tourist who has spent many
winters in Maruata. He can probably help introduce you to people.

Another gringo, Turtle Dave, is possibly setting up a recycling project and
palm tree planting campaign. He has a lot of friends along the coast and in
the hills. If you can get him to shut up long enough to hear you out, he'll
probably help you out too.