some doubts

Leonel Hermida leonelhermida at netc.pt
Sun Nov 14 12:07:01 UTC 1999

1. in oiuh mito cecni, zan ye no iuh mochihuaya
(as it is told elsewhere, so likewise was it done)

o-iuh mito = iuh o-mihtoh ? Is it common to have the preterit mark o-
'anticipated'? Or is there any reason I don't know?

2. in momazacoahuiani, intla elti, iciuhca mimiqui
(he who partakes of the mazacoatl, if aggressive, quickly dies)

is 'mazacoatl' some kind of venomous snake?
is it the 'snake(?)' which is aggressive?
is mimiqui an 'intensive' of miqui?

3. ihuan in aquin mimiqui, in quin opeuh coni
(and he who has epilepsy, after it has just begun, drinks it)

now 'mimiqui' has another meaning; what are the shades of
meaning expressed by reduplication of the verb?
would it be better *tlaconi? *quiconi? or is 'coni' an 'hopeless'
intransitive?

4. Here I'd welcome a litteral translation (as far as possible):

"Manca in atl oncan temia in cocoa ihuan in cueyame
ihuan in yehuantin motenehua Mazateca oncan quintoloaya
in cocoa zan yoyoltihuia".

is 'manca' a pluperfect of 'mani' (put)?
does 'oncan' mean 'there'? or has other meaning?
is temia the causative of 'temi'= fill up ?

Now, there must have been some tank (?) where had been
put water (manca in atl) and that was filled up (temia) with
snakes and frogs (in cocoa ihuan in cueyame); and then the
people called Mazateca (in yehuantin motenehua Mazateca)
'lowered the snakes down' (quintoloaya) = made them
disappear (?) or = swallowed them down (?) alive (??)
('yoli' is to live; is 'yoyoltihuia' = as they were alive?)

Perhaps 2 weeks from now these doubts would be no more for
I've ordered F. Karttunen & J. Campbell's monumental "Foundation
Course in Nahuatl Grammar" but I cannot wait that much...

Thanks for the help.
Kind regards,
Leonel