Any suggestions?

Richley Crapo RCRAPO at wpo.hass.usu.edu
Thu Nov 18 03:54:16 UTC 1999

I think you are correct about quincuic and intechuic.  The latter, "to
near them" is not what is thought of as "standard" Classical Aztec, but
it seems to occur in Tlaxcala.  It's Poxauh that's got me stumped.

Richley

<<< Galen Brokaw <brokawg at mail.lafayette.edu> 11/17  4:11p >>>

> Poxauh quincuic intechhuic.

I'm no expert, but I had some free time just now. As I was working on
this, I received Richard's post. I came up with something a little
different, but I was having trouble relating "poxauh" with the rest of
the phrase. This is what I had:

It swelled up (or it got soft) [from poxahua], he took (in a grabbing
kind of way) them to them.

I was translating "intechhuic" as:
in=3rd person plural possessive
-tech=postposition: attached to
-huic=postposition: towards

So, techhuic would be a double postposition.
I've seen before where Nahuatl will put two post positions together, but
I don't remember seeing "techhuic" before.
Am I way off?
Galen