Maybe Someone ...

XiKano * xikano_1 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 16:18:40 UTC 1999

..here can help out?

-XiKano

>>From the Aztlan board :

My name is Josephine Volpe and I am a graduate student at UCLA.
I am working as a researcher for a television series based on
Michael Coe's book Breaking the Maya Code.  We have been doing
extensive research for the past six months under a grant from the
National Endowment for the Humanities.  However, we are still
searching for film, video, and still images of specific people
and events significant to the history of the Mayan decipherment.

Attached below is a description of the project, and a list of
what we are seeking.  Any help Aztlan members could give us,
either by providing leads or by sharing material in their personal
collections, would be greatly appreciated. Please reply directly
to me at jvolpe at ucla.edu, rather than to the list.  Thank you.

CURRENT STATUS OF THE PROJECT:

The television series Breaking the Maya Code was conceived in 1997 by
producer David Lebrun and author Michael Coe.  Michael Coe is serving as
co-author and Principal Advisor to the project.  The project is under the
sponsorship of the Pre-Columbian Art Research Institute, and the Advisory
Board consists of Federico Fahsen, William L. Fash, Nikolai Grube, Stephen
D. Houston, Justin Kerr, Simon Martin, Peter Mathews, Mary Ellen Miller,
Robert L. Sharer, David Stuart, George E. Stuart, Karl A. Taube, Barbara
Tedlock, and Evon Z. Vogt.

The project has received a research and scripting grant from the National
Endowment for the Humanities.  Researchers who have contributed to the
project include Cheyenne Spetzler, Josephine Volpe, Margaret Jackson,
Jeffrey Glover, Zachary Hruby, Claudia Garcia-Des Lauriers, and Kaylee
Spencer.

Extensive in-person research interviews have been conducted with most of the
members of the advisory board, as well as Elizabeth Benson, Dorie
Reents-Budet, David Freidel, Gillett Griffin, Chris Jones, Kathryn Josserand
& Nicholas Hopkins, John Justeson, Terry Kaufman, David Kelley, Barbara
Kerr, Barbara MacLeod, Joyce Marcus, John Robertson, Merle Robertson, Jeremy
Sabloff, and Dennis Tedlock.  (Interviews with others are ongoing.)

In searching for images, we have reviewed some of the materials at the image
archives of the Peabody Museum, the University of Pennsylvania, and the
Newberry Library.  We have reviewed (or are in the process of reviewing)
several hundred books and articles and around twenty films and videos that
were produced in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Latin America,
as well as relevant footage from John Longyear, Phil Hofstetter, and Ortolf
Karla.

IMAGES WE ARE LOOKING FOR:

1.  Unpublished graphics, photographs, film and video with images of:
a)  Any of the following individuals:  Rafinesque, Leon de Rosny, Brasseur
de Bourbourg, J.T. Goodman, Ernst Forstemann, Eduard Seler, Cyrus Thomas,
Alfred
P. Maudslay, Sylvanus G. Morley, Alfred Tozzer and Glover Allen, Hermann
Beyer, Benjamin Whorf, Eric Thompson, Tatiana Proskouriakoff, Yuri Knorozov,
Heinrich Berlin, Floyd Lounsbury, Linda Schele, David Kelley, Peter Mathews,
Michael Coe, Stephen Houston, David Stuart, and Nikolai Grube.

With regard to living individuals, we are particularly interested in
material from past decades (pre-1990).

b)  Images of various meetings:  the Mesa Redondas de Palenque from the
1970s and 80s, the 1970s Dumbarton Oaks Maya Meetings, and the early Texas
Workshops from 1978-85.

2.  Film or video of the archaeological excavation of epigraphic
inscriptions.

3.  A specific educational film showing the excavation of the tomb of
Hasaw Chan Kawil at Tikal Temple 1.  (We have had this film described to us,
but we have been unable to locate the title or distributor of the film.  It
was probably released circa 1962.)

4.  Films that were shot by Morley in the 1930s.

5.  Any Colonial period images related to the Spanish in the Maya region or
the Maya-Spanish interaction.

6.  Any European-produced films on the Maya with images of
archaeological excavation or of epigraphers in the field.

At this point we are locating materials as part of our research.  When the
series goes into production, compensation will be paid to copyright holders
for any materials that we use.

Thanks again,

Josephine Volpe