The use of XIHUIT

r. joe campbell campbel at indiana.edu
Tue Aug 29 06:52:09 UTC 2000

Howard,
   I think that people who are studying 'tl' variants of Nahuatl and those
who are doing 't' variants have a lot to gain from exchanging information
with each other.  Of course, in addition to the 'tl' vs. 't' difference,
there will be some vocabulary differences too...
   The issue of "xihuitl" is fairly straightforward:  the stem probably
basically refers to 'leaf' and 'greenery' and is then extended to other
meanings involving time and seasons.  'Leaves' mark the years, just as
'moons' mark the months and 'snows' also mark the years.
   I was interested in your example of "chi" (to make) involving the
passage of time -- it might be interesting to see if it involves the stem
"chi(y)a" 'to wait' (unrelated to "chihua" 'do, make').  What are some
examples of your "chi"?  What does "chiyakiya yek" mean?  How do you say
'I will wait for you' or 'Wait for me'?

Saludos,

Joe