The use of XIHUIT

Howard Quilliam Dickens apaneco at saltel.net
Thu Aug 10 14:04:39 UTC 2000

----------
> From: r. joe campbell <campbel at indiana.edu>
> To: Nahuat-l List members <nahuat-l at server2.umt.edu>
> Subject: Re: The use of XIHUIT
> Date: 29 August 2000 07:52
>
> Howard,
>    I think that people who are studying 'tl' variants of Nahuatl and
those
> who are doing 't' variants have a lot to gain from exchanging information
> with each other.  Of course, in addition to the 'tl' vs. 't' difference,
> there will be some vocabulary differences too...
>    The issue of "xihuitl" is fairly straightforward:  the stem probably
> basically refers to 'leaf' and 'greenery' and is then extended to other
> meanings involving time and seasons.  'Leaves' mark the years, just as
> 'moons' mark the months and 'snows' also mark the years.
>    I was interested in your example of "chi" (to make) involving the
> passage of time -- it might be interesting to see if it involves the stem
> "chi(y)a" 'to wait' (unrelated to "chihua" 'do, make').  What are some
> examples of your "chi"?  What does "chiyakiya yek" mean?  How do you say
> 'I will wait for you' or 'Wait for me'?
>
> Saludos,
>
> Joe

Joe
Thanks for your comments.
Here in El Salvador we do differentiate between "chi" to make and
"cheya"(CHI(Y)A) to wait.
In answer to your question;
I will wait for you = ni-yauj ni-mits-cheya kiuni
Wait for me = ti-yauj ti-nech-cheya kiuni.

Regarding "chi" and "chiua" (CHIHUA);  the latter is used here but  only in
infinite and future constructs In all other cases the UA suffix is dropped,
although there is a rare use of a preterit "Chiuak"
e.g.
past participle: chijtuk
ye uipta naja ni-chijtuk se nuhuitsut  (The day before yesterday I was
making a hoe)

passive: chi-at
niyauj ni-uika ne kuauit pal nik-chiat se nuhuitsut ( I go to carry the
wood for to make a hoe)

present participle: chiyakiya or chijkiya
tay ti-chiyakiya nemi yek  saman (what you are making is coming good?)

"chi" or " chij" also seems to appear in such words as chijcultic (chij (to
make) + cultic (something twisted)
These are examples of everyday speech in and around the town of Tacuba here
in El Salvador. These expressions may be contractions; I do not know as I
have no other accurate reference other than the spoken word.
 In relation to the use of "chi" or "chij" in terms of the passage of time.
Time appears to be related to physical events rather than an abstract
notion i.e the only indication of the passage of time is the phenomena of a
physical event. (not bad physics when you think about it).
e.g. yeka-chiua naui tunal pal tikualat ka-nikan. (must make four days to
come to be here)
       chijkiya chupi pal tiktakuat saman (lit. making little for you
thereby to eat now) (there being little time   for you to eat now).
Of the above the first relates to time being expressed as the making of
something specific i.e. four suns, while the latter is none specific;
referring only to the act of making something.
Regarding "xiuit", I have spoken to my tutors, ( the campesinos of Tacuba)
and they are adamant in maintaining their strange use of the word. Further
investigation needed!
"chiyakiya yek"  (making good or the right time is coming)
e.g. chiyakiya yek pal nikitat ne nu-ixtakasiuat (the right time is coming
for me to see
my mistress)

Sorry about the delay in replying my telephone link is rather erratic.
Tiyaua yek saman.
Howard