Native Americans

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Sun Feb 6 20:29:25 UTC 2000

Ohiyesa/Charles Eastman was a Santee born in Minnesota and raised in
Manitoba in the second half of the 1800s.  He used the term "Native
American" long before anyone else that I was aware of=8Auntil very recently
when I came across the use by Roger Williams all the way back in 1643.  So
it's not such a contrived neologism as one might think.  It was certainly
more enlightened and thoughtful on the part of Williams than the labels the
French and English were applying to the Algonquins and the Iroqouis at the
time.

Fran Karttunen