Debate over "Indians"

John F. Schwaller schwallr at selway.umt.edu
Mon Feb 7 15:54:22 UTC 2000

Dear List members,

Now that there seems to be a lull in the discussion, I'd like to requerst
that we leave this topic.  While it is of great interest and certainly
valid, this is not the place.  As has been noted, this is the Nahuat-l
listserv dedicate to the study of the Nahua and the Nahuatl language.  Thus
far no one has noted that that the colonial Nahua referred to themselves
not as "indiosme" as one might expect, but as "nican tlaca"  (people from
here).

So it has been an exciting weekend, but let's call it quits, please.

I ask also that people not "shoot from the lip"  Before engaging in
discussion that we know will be acrimonious, try sending a note to the
person off-line, that is outside of the list.

J. F. Schwaller,
List Owner

John Frederick Schwaller                             schwallr at selway.umt.edu
Associate Provost                                        406-243-4722
The University of Montana                           FAX 406-243-5937
                          http://www.umt.edu/history/NAHUATL/