Nahua Net Names

micc at home.com micc at home.com
Tue Feb 8 07:10:43 UTC 2000

You raise some interesting questions in regards to the internet and the
use of nahuatl names for internet "identities"  i am sure that some
people will not like "non-indigenous people" using nahuatl names, but
that is another story.....

ihave a nahuatl name that was given to me by my Azteca dance maestro in
1975. Quetzalcoatl, he said fit me since I was always trying to learn
the cultural ways of our past.  of course, at that time he did not know
about the 18th and 19th century revisions of Quetzalcoatl as a "god of
wisdom", but his sentiments were nevertheless kind and thoguhtful.

In 1980 when i was given recognition as a tla'toani (or as is more
commonly used in the danza: Capitan) by a group of Danza Azteca elders
at Tepeyacac, I chose the name Cuauhtlecoc as my Danza name.

Today, all of the young kids who have been born into my dance group have
spanish names ( or as some purists call them "slave names) for use in
the schools, and regular "business"  and Nahuatl or Yaqui middle names
for ceremonial use only.  We have a large population of Mexicanos who
come from Sonora and Sinaloa, where the Yoreme and Cora live, so the
Yaqui names are popular.

My son, as student at UCLA has as  his ceremonial name Ehecatl, and my
daughter has  Metztli

Over the past two years or so that I have been a menmber of the nahuat-l
and Aztlan groups, i have seen a rise in requests for Nahuatl or
indigenous names for new born children.