tlahtoa / saltillo

Galen Brokaw brokawg at mail.lafayette.edu
Fri Feb 11 01:27:44 UTC 2000

John,
You are right. I think my last email crossed with yours in cyberspace. In the
dialects we are discussing, the glottal stop is not a phoneme. But the closing
off of the throat is a nonphonemic glottal stop which occurs at the end of vowel
final words. I think that was the original issue that Fran's post raised in my
mind. So, if I may sum up here just to see if we are all on the same page. And
please Fran, Mary, John, et al please correct me if I'm wrong:
1. The saltillo was a glottal stop in Classical (I know that from what John has
said he may disagree with this)
2. In many (most?) modern dialects the glottal stop evolved into an aspiration
/h/
3. In these dialects the glottal stop is no longer a phoneme but exists as a
phonetic characteristic of world final vowels.
4. In these modern dialects, the indicative singular verbs end with this
nonphonemic glottal stop
5. In Classical, the indicative plural verbs ended with a glottal stop, which
was referred to as a saltillo (see #1)
6. In these modern dialects, the Classical saltillo of the indicative plural
verbs has evolved into an aspiration /h/ (see #2 and #5).
7. Most linguists continue to refer to the modern /h/ as a saltillo/glottal stop
for historical reasons even though phonetically it is not.

I do have one question for those who may know. Are there differences of opinion
among linguists about what the saltillo was phonetically in Classical Nahuatl?
Also, I should say that although this discussion may seem pedantic to many, it
has been very informative for me and I appreciate the dialogue with John,
Michael, and Mary.
Galen