not a pot head, just wondering

Mark David Morris mdmorris at indiana.edu
Mon Feb 21 05:23:30 UTC 2000

Lucas,

Simeon's dictionary gives the following definition:  Planta que tiene el
olor y el sabor del anis; se la echaba al fuego en ves de incienso.
Servia para curar gran numero de enfermedades, particularmente las de los
ojos (ref. Sahagun, Clavijero and Francisco Hernandez).  That about the
eyes sounds like marijuana (African hemp?) but I've never thought it had
the smell nor taste of anis.  This yauhtli, then, may or may not be a hemp
plant, with common characteristics with the marijuana plant, which again,
I believe originates in Africa--but maybe the Rastafarians just convinced
me of that. It deserves further investigating, and I could recommend the
Florentine Codice (Sahagun) or this Nova plantarum animalium et mineralium
mexicanorum historia by Francisco Hernandez.
Mark Morris

For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more
grief. Eccl 1:18

To realize that our knowledge is ignorance, this is a noble insight. To
regard our ignorance as knowledge, this is mental sickness.  Only when we
are sick of our sickness, shall we cease to be sick.  The Sage is not
sick, being sick of sickness; This is the secret of health.  TTC 71

MDM, PhD Candidate
Dept. of History, Indiana Univ.