wordplay in nahuatl

Pete Banuelos pbanuelos at matteohome.com
Wed Dec 5 19:34:23 UTC 2001

Tonacatecuhtli define?

Pete Banuelos
MATTEO
912 East Third Street
Studio 105
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Tel:  (213) 617-2813 Ext.22
Fax:  (213) 617-2816
pbanuelos at matteohome.com

-----Original Message-----
From: SANCHEZ JOANNA M [mailto:js9211 at csc.albany.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 6:14 AM
To: nahuat-l at mrs.umn.edu
Subject: wordplay in nahuatl

I recently posted a question about cases of wordplay in Nahuatl, and am
still interested in getting opinions.  I'm talking about the type of
double meanings that appear in words like Tonacatecuhtli-
Burkhart argues for the "Our-flesh lord", while Lopez Austin would say
that there is a deliberate double meaning created between nacatl and
tonacatl, "sustenance."
        Just wondering if anyone has any other interesting (or not)
examples or ideas about this sort of thing.  Thanks- J. Sanchez