Pidiginization in nawatl ?

r. joe campbell campbel at indiana.edu
Sat Feb 17 19:58:55 UTC 2001

David,
   I wish I knew more about 1) pidgins and creoles and 2) the Uto-Aztecan
language and its history because I think that a discussion of your point
(i.e., that a restricted morpheme set, together with the necessary heavy
use of compounding, is evidence that a language probably underwent
pidginization sometime in its history) [pardon the long interpolation]
would require input from people knowledgable in both of the above areas.

   Having declared my ignorance, I can give you my unenlightened reaction
to the inference that you make.  Your inference makes the assumption that
the "natural" organization of a language involves a large lexicon of
morphemes -- that it isn't "natural" for a language to be organized with a
relatively small set of morphemes and to make use of compounding in order
to cover its needs of semantic distinction.  Although I *do* believe that
there are some interesting observations about language universals, I also
believe that human languages differ in unexpected ways, so I have a hard
time thinking that "heavy compounding" languages are necessarily changed
from a more "basic" language shape.

   German, English, and Eskimo are known to lean heavily on compounding to
fill their needs for making semantic distinctions.  With regard to German
and English, should we infer that Proto-Indo-European had a larger
morpheme lexicon and that German and English probably underwent
pidginization?

   My personal inclination is that Nahuatl's compounding strategy is a
natural development possible in any language.  I'd be interested in
hearing some evidence for its being strongly likely that it involved
pidginization.

   I include below a list of some noun compounds from Molina's 16th
century vocabulary efforts.

Best regards,

Joe

p.s.  Although Swadesh wrote about "los mil elementos...", I know of about
1300, so the number apparently exceeds that.

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, David Sanchez wrote:

<<snip>>

> In fact I've heard the number of radicals used is only around 1000!!!
>
> This is a prototypical situation in PIDGINS and CREOLES, and we think
> that it is possible nawatl undergoed(?) a period of pidginization when a
> considerable number of yuto-aztecan radicals becomed lost and therefore
> they were replaced by compounds like (1), (2) and (3).
>
> What do you think? Do you consider reasonable this hypothesis about
> diachronic history of nawatl?

          Cross Index of Nahuatl Noun Compounds          PAGE  1

     a:tl
       a:calli                 canoe
       a:calyacatl             prow of a ship
       a:coatl                 water snake
       a:comitl                large earthen water jar
       a:huictli               oar
       a:milli                 irrigated land
       a:octli                 liquor made with honey and water
       a:ohtli                 water conduit
       a:poctli                water vapor
       a:tecomatl              gourd for drinking water
       a:tentli                bank of a river
       a:tlacatl               sailor
       a:tocatl                water spider
       a:xictli                whirlpool
       a:xixcalli              latrine
       a:xixcomitl             chamberpot
       a:xixtecomatl           bladder
       a:caxitl                water basin
       ahuictli                oar
       altepe:milli            community land
       altepetlalli            community lands
       atezcatl                pool of water, or a water gauge
       atlalli                 irrigated land
       axixcalli               latrine
       axixcomitl              chamberpot
       chila:tl                chile pepper water
       michacaxitl             fishtank
       necua:tl                mixture of water and honey
       nexa:tl                 lye
       tepe:a:tl               mountain water
       tlalatl                 bog
       xocha:tl                rose water
       zoquia:tl               mud

     acatl
       acamahpilli             rod
       acapetlatl              reed mat
       totolacatl              quill
       totolacatecomatl        inkwell
       totolacatl              quill or feather for writing

     ahcolli
       ahcolchimalli           shoulder bone
       ahcoltzontli            hair on the shoulder

     amatl
       ama:calli               bookstore
       ama:calli               cone-shaped paper cap
       amatzoncalli            paper helmet (cone)
       cuicaamatl              songbook
       tepozamatl              metal foil
       tocaamatl               registry of names
       tonalamatl              calendar

          Cross Index of Nahuatl Noun Compounds          PAGE  2

     amoxtli
       amoxcalli               bookstore
       amoxtentli              margin of a book
       amoxtocaitl             title of a book

     apaztli
       cuauhapaztli            wooden vessel
       teapaztli               stone basin
       tepozapaztli            copper caldron or basin

     atolli
       yacaatolli              mucous
       yacatolli               mucous

     cactli
       cachuapalli             sole or form of a shoe
       cactlilli               shoemaker's dye
       cuauhcactli             wooden sandal
       ehuacactli              rawhide shoe
       tilmahcactli            cloth slipper

     calli
       a:calli                 canoe
       a:calyacatl             prow of a ship
       a:xixcalli              latrine
       ama:calli               bookstore
       ama:calli               cone-shaped paper cap
       amatzoncalli            paper helmet (cone)
       amoxcalli               bookstore
       axixcalli               latrine
       calcuaitl               roof of a house
       calcuichtli             soot
       callalli                ground that is next to a house
       calmilli                land that is next to the house
       calnacaztli             corner of a house
       calocuilin              silk cocoon
       calohtli                road that goes to a house
       cuauhcalli              large wooden cage
       cuitlacalli             latrine
       huapalcalli             house or hut made of boards
       huilocalli              pigeonhouse
       mazacalli               stable
       moyocalli               mosquito net
       ocopetlacalli           pine box
       omicalli                ossuary or place to put bones
       pahcalli                drugstore
       petlacalli              reed chest
       petlacalmecahuehuetl    spinet, stringed instrument with keys
       pitzocalli              pigsty
       tecalli                 stone house
       tenexcalli              lime oven
       teocalli                church
       teocaltototl            sparrow
       teotlatquicalli         sacristy
       tepozpetlacalli         iron or copper box

          Cross Index of Nahuatl Noun Compounds          PAGE  3

       tlacualcalli            pantry
       tlecalli                chimney
       tochcalli               rabbit burrow
       totolcalli              henhouse
       tzoncalli               wig
       yaocalli                fortress

     capolin
       capuloctli              cherry wine

     caxitl
       a:caxitl                water basin
       chilmolcaxitl           dish for chile pepper stew
       michacaxitl             fishtank
       omicaxitl               bone dish
       tecaxitli               stone basin
       tepozcaxitl             copper pan
       tepoztlecaxitl          metal incense burner
       tlecaxitl               clay incense burner
       tototecaxtli            birds' nest

     chimalli
       tepochimalli            shield

     chiquihuitl
       cuauhchiquihuitl        wooden basket
       elchiquihuitl           ribcage
       totochiquihuitl         birds' nest
       zoyachiquihuitl         basket made of palm leaves

     cihuatl
       cihuacahuallo           mare
       cihuamontli             daughter-in-law
       cihuatlacamichin        sea siren, mermaid
       cihuatlacohtli          woman slave
       cihuatotolin            hen
       tlacatecolocihuatl      diabolical woman
       tlahtocacihuapilli      princess or great lady

     coatl
       a:coatl                 water snake
       coahuitzmecatl          brambleberry
       coamichin               eel
       coatetl                 snake egg
       coatlancapulin          blackberry fruit
       coatlantli              blackberry bush or eyetooth
       coatlanxocotl           blackberry fruit
       tlilcoatl               black snake

     comitl
       a:comitl                large earthen water jar
       a:xixcomitl             chamberpot
       axixcomitl              chamberpot
       contlilli               soot from pots
       micomitl                quiver for arrows
       tlecomitl               crucible for melting gold

          Cross Index of Nahuatl Noun Compounds          PAGE  4

       xocouinocomitl          vinegar pot

     conetl
       axnoconetl              young donkey
       canauhconetl            small duck
       huiloconetl             young pigeon
       ichcaconetl             lamb
       mazaconetl              fawn
       tochconetl              young rabbit
       totoconetl              young bird
       totolconetl             chick

     coyotl
       tlalcoyotl              jackal which hides underground and digs

     cozcatl
       xochicozcatl            garland of flowers

     cuahuitl
       capulcuahuitl           cherry tree
       cuacuahuitl             animal's horn
       cuauhapaztli            wooden vessel
       cuauhcactli             wooden sandal
       cuauhcalli              large wooden cage
       cuauhchiquihuitl        wooden basket
       cuauhhuitztli           kind of thorn bush
       cuauhocuilin            worm which gnaws wood
       cuauhtexolotl           pestle of a mortar
       cuauhxicalli            wooden vessel
       huitzcuahuitl           thorny tree
       ococuahuitl             pine tree
       tlalcuahuitl            rod for measuring fields
       tlecuahuitl             wooden instrument for making fire
       xococuahuitl            fruit tree

     cuaitl
       calcuaitl               roof of a house
       cuacuahuitl             animal's horn
       cuamatlatl              hairnet
       cuametlapil             man with a large head
       cuanacatl               cock's comb
       cuateyollotl            crown of the head
       cuatzontli              hair of the head
       cuaxicalli              skull of the head
       cuayollohtli            crown of the head
       ixcuaitl                forehead
       ixcuatzontli            hair on the forehead
       tlancuaxicalli          knee bone

     cuitlatl
       cuitlacalli             latrine
       cuitlaxcolli            intestines
       nacazcuitlatl           ear wax
       teocuitlatl             gold
       teocuitlatlalli         gold dust
       teocuitlaxiquipilli     money bag

          Cross Index of Nahuatl Noun Compounds          PAGE  5

       tilmahcuitlapilli       tail of a piece of clothing
       totolcuitlatl           chicken dung
       tozcacuitlatl           phlegm
       tozcayacacuitlatl       phlegm
       tzocuitlatl             sweat of the body
       xicohcuitlaocotl        wax candle
       xicohcuitlatl           wax
       yacacuitlatl            mucous

     ehuatl
       ehuacactli              rawhide shoe
       ehuahuehuetl            tambourine
       ehuatilmahtli           leather garment
       ehuaxiquipilli          leather bag
       nochehuatl              prickly pear peeling
       totolteehuatl           membrane of an egg

     huapalli
       cachuapalli             sole or form of a shoe
       huapalcalli             house or hut made of boards
       tehuapalli              large wide tombstone or slab

     huictli
       a:huictli               oar
       ahuictli                oar
       tepozhuictli            iron hoe

     huilotl
       huiloconetl             young pigeon
       oquichhuilotl           male dove

     huipilli
       ichcahuipilli           padded armor for battle
       tepozhuipilli           coat of mail
       tepozmatlahuipilli      coat of mail
       tlachuipilli            jacket

     huitztli
       coahuitzmecatl          brambleberry
       cuauhhuitztli           kind of thorn bush
       huitzcuahuitl           thorny tree
       huitzomitl              needle for sewing
       huitzquilitl            cardoon, an edible plant
       huitzquiltzontecomatl   artichoke
       tototenhuitztli         beak of a bird

     ichcatl
       ichcaconetl             lamb
       ichcahuipilli           padded armor for battle

     ichpochtli
       ichpochtotolin          pullet which is beginning to lay eggs

     icnotl
       icnotlacatl             orphan or needy person

          Cross Index of Nahuatl Noun Compounds          PAGE  6

     icpatl
       icpatetl                ball of thread

     icxitl
       icxiohtli               footpath
       xocoicxitl              stem of a piece of fruit

     ixtli
       ixcuaitl                forehead
       ixcuatzontli            hair on the forehead
       ixtezcatl               spectacles

     iztatl
       iztatetl                cake of salt
       iztatlacatl             salt maker
       iztaxalli               grain of salt

     maitl
       acamahpilli             rod
       mahpilli                finger
       matemecatl              bracelet
       matzotzopaztli          forearm
       tepoztlemaitl           fire shovel
       tlalmaitl               laborer or worker
       tlemaitl                clay scoop for carrying fire
       xocomecamaitl           vineshoot or tendril

     matlatl
       cuamatlatl              hairnet
       matlaxiquipilli         bag made of net
       tepozmatlahuipilli      coat of mail
       totomatlatl             net for hunting birds

     mazatl
       mazacalli               stable
       mazaconetl              fawn
       tlacamazatl             bestial man

     mecatl
       cahuallomecatl          halter
       cahuallotemmecatl       horse's halter
       coahuitzmecatl          brambleberry
       matemecatl              bracelet
       mecahuehuetl            guitar
       petlacalmecahuehuetl    spinet, stringed instrument with keys
       tlalhuamecatl           guitar string
       tlalmecatl              cord for measuring fields
       xocomecamaitl           vineshoot or tendril
       xocomecatl              grapevine
       xocomecayacatzontli     tendril of a vineshoot
       xocomecayollotl         grape
       zacamecatl              rope made of grass

          Cross Index of Nahuatl Noun Compounds          PAGE  7

     metl
       meneuctli               raw maguey cactus nectar
       meyollohtli             heart of the century cactus

     michin
       cihuatlacamichin        sea siren, mermaid
       coamichin               eel
       michacaxitl             fishtank
       michomitl               fish bone
       michtetl                fish egg
       tlacamichin             big fish, catfish

     milli
       a:milli                 irrigated land
       altepe:milli            community land
       calmilli                land that is next to the house
       milchilli               chile pepper that grows in the fields
       millacatl               worker or peasant

     mitl
       micomitl                quiver for arrows
       mixiquipilli            quiver for arrows
       tencualacmitl           poisoned arrow

     moyotl
       moyocalli               mosquito net
       tlemoyonextli           dead spark
       tlemoyotl               spark

     nacatl
       cuanacatl               cock's comb
       tlacanacatl             human flesh

     nacaztli
       calnacaztli             corner of a house
       nacazcuitlatl           ear wax
       tenacaztli              stone carved for the corner of a wall

     neuctli
       meneuctli               raw maguey cactus nectar
       necua:tl                mixture of water and honey
       xochinecuhtli           honey that grows inside the flower

     nextli
       nexa:tl                 lye
       nextlexochtli           embers
       tenexcalli              lime oven
       tenextli                lime
       tenezoquitl             mortar of lime and sand
       tlemoyonextli           dead spark

     ocotl
       ococentli               pine cone
       ococenyollohtli         pine seed
       ococuahuitl             pine tree

          Cross Index of Nahuatl Noun Compounds          PAGE  8

       ocopetlacalli           pine box
       ocopilli                pine faggot
       ocotlilli               black stain from pine smoke
       ocotochtilmahtli        cape made from martens' hides
       ocotochtli              mountain cat or marten
       ocotzotetl              pitch or tar
       ocotzotl                pine resin
       xicohcuitlaocotl        wax candle

     octli
       a:octli                 liquor made with honey and water
       capuloctli              cherry wine
       nochoctli               prickly pear wine
       xocooctli               wine made from fruit

     ocuilin
       calocuilin              silk cocoon
       cuauhocuilin            worm which gnaws wood
       meocuilin               maguey cactus worm
       tilmahocuilin           clothes moth
       tlanocuilin             caries or a worm that ruins teeth
       zacaocuilin             grass worm

     ohtli
       a:ohtli                 water conduit
       calohtli                road that goes to a house
       icxiohtli               footpath

     omitl
       huitzomitl              needle for sewing
       michomitl               fish bone
       omicalli                ossuary or place to put bones
       omicaxitl               bone dish
       omixochitl              lily
       tlanomitl               ivory

     oquichtli
       oquichhuilotl           male dove

     pahtli
       pahcalli                drugstore

     petlatl
       acapetlatl              reed mat
       ocopetlacalli           pine box
       petlacalli              reed chest
       petlacalmecahuehuetl    spinet, stringed instrument with keys
       tepetlatl               kind of porous rock
       tepozpetlacalli         iron or copper box

     pilli
       acamahpilli             rod
       cuametlapil             man with a large head
       mahpilli                finger
       metlapilli              grinder for the metate
       ocopilli                pine faggot

          Cross Index of Nahuatl Noun Compounds          PAGE  9

       tilmahcuitlapilli       tail of a piece of clothing
       tlahtocacihuapilli      princess or great lady
       tlahtocapilli           noble and generous gentleman
       xopilli                 toe

     quechtli
       cahualloquetzontli      horse's mane
       quechtlalhuatl          nerves of the neck
       quetzontli              long hair on the back of the head

     quilitl
       huitzquilitl            cardoon, an edible plant

     tecomatl
       a:tecomatl              gourd for drinking water
       a:xixtecomatl           bladder
       axixtecomatl            bladder
       huitzquiltzontecomatl   artichoke
       tliltecomatl            inkwell
       totolacatecomatl        inkwell
       tototlacualtecomatl     gizzard of a bird
       tzontecomatl            head
       xicaltecomatl           vessel made of a gourd
       zoquitecomatl           clay cup

     tentli
       a:tentli                bank of a river
       amoxtentli              margin of a book
       tencualacmitl           poisoned arrow
       tentetl                 lip ornament
       tentzontli              beard
       tilmahtentli            edge of a piece of clothing
       tototenhuitztli         beak of a bird
       tototentli              beak of a bird

     tepetl
       altepe:milli            community land
       altepetlalli            community lands

     tepoztli
       tepochimalli            shield
       tepozamatl              metal foil
       tepozapaztli            copper caldron or basin
       tepozcacalotl           nippers, tongs
       tepozcaxitl             copper pan
       tepozhuictli            iron hoe
       tepozhuipilli           coat of mail
       tepozmatlahuipilli      coat of mail
       tepozpetlacalli         iron or copper box
       tepoztlalli             iron filings
       tepoztlecaxitl          metal incense burner
       tepoztlemaitl           fire shovel
       tzintepoztli            hilt of a lance or staff

          Cross Index of Nahuatl Noun Compounds          PAGE  10

     tetl
       amilotetl               eggs of the white fish
       atetl                   testicle
       atexicolli              sack of the testicles
       canauhtetl              duck egg
       coatetl                 snake egg
       cuateyollotl            crown of the head
       cuauhtexolotl           pestle of a mortar
       eltepitztli             shoulder blade
       icpatetl                ball of thread
       iztatetl                cake of salt
       matemecatl              bracelet
       michtetl                fish egg
       ocotzotetl              pitch or tar
       teapaztli               stone basin
       tecalli                 stone house
       tecaxitli               stone basin
       tehuapalli              large wide tombstone or slab
       temetztli               lead (metal)
       tenacaztli              stone carved for the corner of a wall
       tenexcalli              lime oven
       tenextli                lime
       tenezoquitl             mortar of lime and sand
       tentetl                 lip ornament
       teotetl                 jet (kind of stone)
       tepetlatl               kind of porous rock
       teteotl                 idol
       texalli                 sandy stone for grinding stones
       texocotl                apple of the Indies
       tlaltetl                clod of earth
       tliltetl                paragraph mark, or a diacritic
       totolteehuatl           membrane of an egg
       totoltemulli            porridge made of eggs
       totoltetl               egg
       tototecaxtli            birds' nest
       tzintetl                foundation of a wall
       xaltemalacatl           stone for sharpening tools
       xaltetl                 pebble
       xocotetl                very green fruit, and yet to ripen

     tezcatl
       atezcatl                pool of water, or a water gauge
       ixtezcatl               spectacles

     tilmahtli
       ehuatilmahtli           leather garment
       ocotochtilmahtli        cape made from martens' hides
       tilmahcactli            cloth slipper
       tilmahcuitlapilli       tail of a piece of clothing
       tilmahocuilin           clothes moth
       tilmahtentli            edge of a piece of clothing
       tlahtocatilmahtli       royal or lordly clothing

          Cross Index of Nahuatl Noun Compounds          PAGE  11

     tlacatl
       a:tlacatl               sailor
       altepe:tlacatl          townsperson
       atlacatl                sailor
       cihuatlacamichin        sea siren, mermaid
       icnotlacatl             orphan or needy person
       iztatlacatl             salt maker
       tlacahuilotl            gray pigeon with a white neck
       tlacamazatl             bestial man
       tlacamichin             big fish, catfish
       tlacanacatl             human flesh
       tlacatecolocihuatl      diabolical woman
       tlacatecolotl           devil
       tlacaxinachtli          semen

     tlactli
       tlachuipilli            jacket

     tlacualli
       tlacualcalli            pantry
       tototlacualtecomatl     gizzard of a bird

     tlahtoca
       tlahtocacihuapilli      princess or great lady
       tlahtocaicpalli         royal chair
       tlahtocapilli           noble and generous gentleman
       tlahtocatilmahtli       royal or lordly clothing
       tlahtocatlatquitl       property of a king or noble

     tlalhuatl
       cotztlalhuatl           nerves of the calf of the leg
       metztlalhuatl           nerves of leg
       quechtlalhuatl          nerves of the neck
       tlalhuamecatl           guitar string

     tlalli
       altepetlalli            community lands
       atlalli                 irrigated land
       teocuitlatlalli         gold dust
       tepoztlalli             iron filings
       tlalatl                 bog
       tlalcoyotl              jackal which hides underground and digs
       tlalcuahuitl            rod for measuring fields
       tlalmaitl               laborer or worker
       tlalmecatl              cord for measuring fields
       tlaloztotl              underground or basement
       tlaltechalotl           small animal like a squirrel
       tlaltetl                clod of earth

     tlantli
       tlanocuilin             caries or a worm that ruins teeth

     tlatquitl
       cahuallotlatquitl       horse's harness and trappings
       chantlatquitl           house furniture

          Cross Index of Nahuatl Noun Compounds          PAGE  12

       obispotlatquitl         bishop's clothing
       teotlatquicalli         sacristy
       tlahtocatlatquitl       property of a king or noble

     tletl
       nextlexochtli           embers
       tepoztlecaxitl          metal incense burner
       tepoztlemaitl           fire shovel
       tlecalli                chimney
       tlecaxitl               clay incense burner
       tlecomitl               crucible for melting gold
       tlecuahuitl             wooden instrument for making fire
       tlemaitl                clay scoop for carrying fire
       tlemoyonextli           dead spark
       tlemoyotl               spark
       tlexochtli              redhot coal

     tlilli
       cactlilli               shoemaker's dye
       comaltlilli             soot from a griddle
       contlilli               soot from pots
       ocotlilli               black stain from pine smoke
       tlilazcatl              black poisonous ant
       tlilcoatl               black snake
       tlilhuauhtli            wild black amaranth
       tliltecomatl            inkwell
       tliltetl                paragraph mark, or a diacritic
       tlilxochitl             vanilla bean plant

     tocaitl
       amoxtocaitl             title of a book
       tecuhtocaitl            renown of lineage
       tocaamatl               registry of names

     tocatl
       a:tocatl                water spider

     tochtli
       ocotochtilmahtli        cape made from martens' hides
       ocotochtli              mountain cat or marten
       tochcalli               rabbit burrow
       tochconetl              young rabbit

     totolin
       cihuatotolin            hen
       ichpochtotolin          pullet which is beginning to lay eggs
       totolacatecomatl        inkwell
       totolacatl              quill or feather for writing
       totolcalli              henhouse
       totolconetl             chick
       totolcuitlatl           chicken dung
       totolteehuatl           membrane of an egg
       totoltemulli            porridge made of eggs
       totoltetl               egg

          Cross Index of Nahuatl Noun Compounds          PAGE  13

     tototl
       chiltototl              red-feathered bird
       quetzaltototl           bird with rich green feathers
       teocaltototl            sparrow
       totolacatl              quill
       totochiquihuitl         birds' nest
       totoconetl              young bird
       totomatlatl             net for hunting birds
       tototecaxtli            birds' nest
       tototenhuitztli         beak of a bird
       tototentli              beak of a bird
       tototlacualtecomatl     gizzard of a bird
       xochitototl             kind of yellow bird

     tozcatl
       tozcacuitlatl           phlegm
       tozcayacacuitlatl       phlegm

     tzintli
       tzinicpalli             small portable chair
       tzintamalli             buttock
       tzintepoztli            hilt of a lance or staff
       tzintetl                foundation of a wall

     tzontli
       ahcoltzontli            hair on the shoulder
       amatzoncalli            paper helmet (cone)
       cahualloquetzontli      horse's mane
       camatzontli             cheek fuzz
       cuatzontli              hair of the head
       huitzquiltzontecomatl   artichoke
       ixcuatzontli            hair on the forehead
       metzontli               hairs of the leg
       quetzontli              long hair on the back of the head
       tentzontli              beard
       tzoncalli               wig
       tzonicpalli             pillow or something for the headrest
       tzontecomatl            head
       xocomecayacatzontli     tendril of a vineshoot
       yacatzontli             hair of the nose

     xalli
       axalli                  kind of sand used to cut precious stones
       azcaxalli               anthill
       iztaxalli               grain of salt
       texalli                 sandy stone for grinding stones
       xaltemalacatl           stone for sharpening tools
       xaltetl                 pebble

     xicalli
       cuauhxicalli            wooden vessel
       cuaxicalli              skull of the head
       tlancuaxicalli          knee bone
       xicaltecomatl           vessel made of a gourd

          Cross Index of Nahuatl Noun Compounds          PAGE  14

     xicolli
       atexicolli              sack of the testicles
       cuitlaxcolli            intestines

     xictli
       a:xictli                whirlpool

     xinachtli
       tlacaxinachtli          semen

     xiquipilli
       ehuaxiquipilli          leather bag
       matlaxiquipilli         bag made of net
       mixiquipilli            quiver for arrows
       teocuitlaxiquipilli     money bag

     xixtli
       a:xixcalli              latrine
       a:xixcomitl             chamberpot
       a:xixtecomatl           bladder
       axixcalli               latrine
       axixcomitl              chamberpot
       axixtecomatl            bladder
       axixtli                 urine

     xochitl
       ayohxochitl             squash blossom
       nextlexochtli           embers
       omixochitl              lily
       tlexochtli              redhot coal
       tlilxochitl             vanilla bean plant
       xocha:tl                rose water
       xochicozcatl            garland of flowers
       xochihuauhtli           wild yellow amaranth
       xochinecuhtli           honey that grows inside the flower
       xochitototl             kind of yellow bird
       yolloxochitl            fragrant flower in the form of a heart

     xocotl
       coatlanxocotl           blackberry fruit
       texocotl                apple of the Indies
       xococuahuitl            fruit tree
       xocoicxitl              stem of a piece of fruit
       xocomecamaitl           vineshoot or tendril
       xocomecatl              grapevine
       xocomecayacatzontli     tendril of a vineshoot
       xocomecayollotl         grape
       xocooctli               wine made from fruit
       xocotetl                very green fruit, and yet to ripen
       xocouinocomitl          vinegar pot
       xocoyollohtli           fruit pit

     xotl
       xopilli                 toe

          Cross Index of Nahuatl Noun Compounds          PAGE  15

     yacatl
       a:calyacatl             prow of a ship
       tozcayacacuitlatl       phlegm
       xocomecayacatzontli     tendril of a vineshoot
       yacaatolli              mucous
       yacacuitlatl            mucous
       yacatolli               mucous
       yacatzontli             hair of the nose

     yollotl
       meyollohtli             heart of the century cactus

     zoquitl