stereotypes: nahuatl

rmedinagarcia at quepasa.com rmedinagarcia at quepasa.com
Fri Jan 26 02:14:23 UTC 2001

I have seen some movies with the "India Maria." To me they seem in many ways insulting to indigenous people but to what degree do you guys think that her pronunciation of Spanish words are influenced by Nahuatl? I think her substitution of "o", "u" seem derived from Nahuatl.  Is this true?
Her phonetic pronunciation of Spanish seems like the stereotypical view of indigenous people's pronunciation.  Does anybody else detect any other language phonetic influence, in the India Maria's pronunciation?

*** Obtenga su email gratis en http://www.quepasa.com ***