Stress shifting suffixes

David Sanchez davius_sanctex at terra.es
Thu Mar 29 21:45:52 UTC 2001

> I have seen Spanish spellings with the accent on other syllables, e.g.
> "Tenochtitlán". It could be that sometimes, when Spanish-speakers try
> to pronounce a Nahuatl name, a stress on a short vowel may tend
> to move to an adjacent long vowel.

Certainly it is difficult for all native spanish speakers utter an unstressed
long vowel, this is a tendency in all romance languages (in italian all stressed
vowels automatically are long). Accentual pattern of latin also shows this
tendency.

> Spanishisms get into Nahuatl: e.g. I read once of Spanish {de} = "of"
> getting into Nahuatl, and causing the mixed-language combination {din} = {de in}.

The case of spanish "de" is surprising because it is a non-tonic particle!

Onpa citla:lyani
David Sánchez