nezahualpilli

Kevin P Smith ksmith at umail.ucsb.edu
Wed Feb 20 15:11:41 UTC 2002

Dear Paul,

Yes, Nezahualpilli (1463?-1515) was the son of Nezahualcoyotl. He ruled
Texcoco from the age of eight or nine until his death (some say
disappearance) at the age of 52.

The usual translation is "Fasting Prince" or "Hungry Prince" but I suspect
that, given the obvious metaphor, something like "Penitent Prince" might
be closer. This would seem to fit Tezcatlipoca, especially in his
manifestation as Telpochtli.

As to you third question, The Texcoca were allies of the Mexica, if at
times uncomfortable ones, until they sided with the Spanish against
Motecuhzoma several years after Nezahualpilli's death.

--
Kevin Paul Smith
ksmith at umail.ucsb.edu