Enemy of Both Sides

SANCHEZ JOANNA M js9211 at csc.albany.edu
Tue Jan 15 15:59:58 UTC 2002

I am glad that someone has brought up the subject of Tezcatlipoca's
epithets, as I've been considering his self-identification in the Historia
Tolteca Chichimeca: "Am I not two? Am I not three?"
 	"mach nome mach ney."

I'm not sure I am convinced by the Preuss and Mengin explanation that
it refers to physical strength. I do believe that Kirchoff, et al are
correct in positing that these are abbreviations for names (calendrical
 shorthand, perhaps?).  Has this problem been reconsidered or solved?
  Thanks- Joanna