occe xoxopehualizli

r. joe campbell campbel at INDIANA.EDU
Fri Aug 6 04:44:57 UTC 2004

   I'm sorry to overlap this message with the one that I sent
earlier this evening, but I had some rearranged thoughts and
thought I'd pass them on.

   Items #1 and #2 are examples of the combination of "ma(itl)" and
"xo(tl)", indicating the fusion of "xo-pehua" -- and the semantic
opacity of "xo-".

   #4 is doubly convincing with regard to the "non-value" of "xo-",
the form "oconicxixopeuh" seeming to claim that "icxi(tl)" (i.e,
foot) is a necessary modifier to express the notion of 'foot'.

   #1 is of some semantic interest, with the semantics leaning
towards 'rejection' and 'disdain'.

   #3 is of further semantic interest, with the embedded "tlahtol-",
indicating the semantic field of refutation in argument.

*************
   But what really caught my interest was the co-occurrence of
"xope..." and "cholo...", so I checked all of the FC and found #13-
#15.  #14 and #15 tlaxoxopehualiztli  and  chocholocayotl  seem to
fit the image of a "difrasismo" -- they generalize two specific
meanings into one new more general meaning.

   #13, on the other hand, itlah oncholo ... ...  itlah oconicxixopeuh
seems to contain the seed of a difrasismo, with the
elements widely spaced, meant to be only non-contiguous elements of
appositional value.

   For an extended and enlightening treatment of "difrasismos", see
Mercedes Montes de Oca's thesis _Los Difrasismos en el Nahuatl del
Siglo XVI_ (UNAM 2000).  Any apparent lack of enlightenment that appears
in my remarks is entirely my own fault and should not reflect negatively
on the author.

Semi-redundantly,

Joe

* * * * * * * * *

ticmaxopeuh**

1. in quenamicatzintli in at huel ihicac, in at nozo zan quenamicatzintli:
     ma *ticmaxopeuh*, ma yehuatl, ca itlaihualtzin in toteucyo:.
      howsoever they may be -- perhaps truly upstanding or perhaps
     only in any manner -- do not reject the one sent of our
     lord. (b.6 f.8 p.98).

tlamaxopehuaz**

2. cenca huellachielo, huel neixpetzolo, huel neixpepetzalo,
     in azaca tlamimiloz, in azaca tlaoliniz, in azaca tlamapetoniz,
     in azaca *tlamaxopehuaz*..
      very well were they watched; closely were they watched;
     closely were they continually watched in case perchance
     someone might roll something, in case he might move something,
     in case perchance someone might displace something with
     his hand, in case perchance someone might knock something
     with his hand. (b.2 f.3 p.80).

motlatolxopeuhtoque**

3. moqueciczatoque, mozoquimotlatoque, motlatzohuilitoque, mocuahcuatoque,
     mixcuahcuatoque, *motlatolxopeuhtoque*, moyehuatocatoque,.
      they sat jostling and besmearing one another, disputing
     and quarreling among themselves, contending, refuting, and
     bragging. (b.4 f.5 p.47).

oconicxixopeuh**

4. in otlatlaco, in calmecac itlah oncholo: intlanel zan aca
     onmotepotlami, itlah *oconicxixopeuh*, oc huel ic conacique,.
      when a fault had been committed in the priests' house,
     or some error had been done--even though someone had only
     stumbled, or tripped over something, at once, for this,
     they laid hold of him. (b.7 f.2 p.17).

conxoxopeuhque**

5. caanque, hueca *conxoxopeuhque*, quihualchichitotzque, hueca
     ica ommamayauhque in metl:.
      they took it up; they kicked each [plant] away; they made
     them burst out [of their places]; far did they cast the
     magueys. (b.12 f.3 p.35).

ticxopeuh**

6. intla iuh motlamachitiz toteucyo, intla aca, iuh quimitalhuiz,
     motech tlatoz: ma tictlatlaz, ma *ticxopeuh* in ihiyotzin
     toteucyo:.
      if it so please our lord, if someone so will demand, will
     speak for thee, thou art not to reject, to kick away the
     spirit of our lord. (b.6 f.8 p.97).

timotlaxopehuallalpiliz**

7. inic timotlalpiliz: amo *timotlaxopehuallalpiliz*, amo no
     tictitichoz in monetlalpilil:.
      "thus art thou to tie on thy cape: do not tie it on so
     that thou goest tripping over it; neither art thou to shorten
     thy cape. (b.6 f.10 p.123).

tinexoxopehuililo**

8. anca ye hueli in iz *tinexoxopehuililo*, anca ye huel in teuhtli,
     tlazolli ic timilacatzotiaz:.
      accordingly, is it possible that thou wilt be ejected from
     the very filth, the refuse, in which thou wilt envelop thyself?
     (b.6 f.6 p.74).

tlatlaxopehua**

9. tlatlahuilana, *tlatlaxopehua*, tlaquequelotinemi, tlaxocotinemi,
     iciacacpa tlaquixtitinemi, acollapetonitinemi, xoxotlamati,
     xoxocuappitznehnemi, quihuihuilana in icxi, monenecuilotiuh
     in nenemi:.
      they drag it; they trip over it; they go about mocking,
     they go rudely, they go drawing it to the arm pit, shoulder
     bared; they go in conceit, graceless, dragging their feet,
     twisting and turning as they travel. (b.6 f.10 p.123).

tlaxoxopehualiztli**

10. *tlaxoxopehualiztli*, huehuetzcayotl, chocholocayotl nimitzonnochihuililiz
     in mopetlapan, in mocpalpan in momahuizyocan..
      I shall bring about for thee the ruination of government,
     the laughable, the folly on thy reed mat, on thy reed seat,
     on thy place of honor. (b.6 f.4 p.45).

11. nehuatl *tlaxoxopehualiztli*, chocholocayotl, noconnochihuililiz
     in amauh, in amotepeuh:.
      I shall bring about ruin, folly to your city. (b.6 f.6
     p.67).

12. auh in *tlaxoxopehualiztli* nicchihuilia in tloque nahuaque
     in ipetlapan, in icpalpan, in imahuizzocan..
      and I govern poorly on the reed mat, the reed seat, the
     place of honor of the lord of the near, of the nigh. (b.6
     f.7 p.87).

******************

oconicxixopeuh**

13. in otlatlaco, in calmecac itlah oncholo: intlanel zan aca
     onmotepotlami, itlah *oconicxixopeuh*, oc huel ic conacique,.
      when a fault had been committed in the priests' house,
     or some error had been done -- even though someone had only
     stumbled, or tripped over something, at once, for this,
     they laid hold of him. (b.7 f.2 p.17).

tlaxoxopehualiztli**

14. *tlaxoxopehualiztli*, huehuetzcayotl, chocholocayotl nimitzonnochihuililiz
     in mopetlapan, in mocpalpan in momahuizyocan..
      I shall bring about for thee the ruination of government,
     the laughable, the folly on thy reed mat, on thy reed seat,
     on thy place of honor. (b.6 f.4 p.45).

15. nehuatl *tlaxoxopehualiztli*, chocholocayotl, noconnochihuililiz