Nahuatl Word 4

Galen Brokaw brokaw at BUFFALO.EDU
Wed Feb 4 15:37:48 UTC 2004

Actually, I guess my question isn't whether or not this is a spelling
mistake. I suppose that if you have teuh followed by a vowel, then it
would be spelled "-tehu-", right?
So, my question has to do with whether or not there is a morphological
division at this point in the word, making it:

ni + tla + te (reduplication) + teuh + ana

Andrews classifies this "teuh" as a suffix, but there are a few words in
the Florentine that seem to use a reduplicated form of "teuh" as an
embedded adjective meaning "completely or thoroughly" rather than a
suffix meaning "in the manner of." Examples: moteteuhtlalia, quiteteuhilpia.
And this seems to make sense. There is also a "motitihuana" that means
to stretch out. So, if the break down that I have given above is
correct, then the "motitihuana" is really "motetehuana".
Is that right?
Galen