Icniuhtli

r. joe campbell campbel at INDIANA.EDU
Thu Feb 26 18:35:31 UTC 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, John F. Schwaller wrote:

> I was contacted by a reporter wanting to verify a bit of information given
> to him in an interview he is doing.  He wanted to know if in fact the word
> for friend [icniuhtli; nocniuh] literally means "one who gives me happiness"

Fritz,

   If the reporter is trying to *verify* whether the word for
friend in Nahuatl (icniuhtli; nocniuh) literally means "one who
gives me happiness", it depends on what he means by "means".
If you get at "means" in the way that we usually do by asking,
"What is another way to say "icniuhtli" or "nocniuh" in Spanish"?,
an accurate answer (and the one that you would get in any Nahuatl
speaking community) is "hermano" and "mi hermano".  This kind of
answer also fulfills the request for *strict* meaning, *literal*
meaning.

   If you asked a Nahuatl speaker for the *meaning* of one of the
following Nahuatl words, he would be likely to reply with one of
Molina's equivalents (as below), but not with "hermano".

  teaahuialtiani.  plazentero, o halague¤o.
  teaahuiltiani.  halague¤o.
  teahuiltiani.  plazentero o regozijado, que regozija alos otros.
  tetlatlacaahuiloani.  halague¤o.
  tetlatlacahuiloani.  halague¤o.

  tepapaquiltiani.  cosa [o persona] que da plazer y alegria.

   So if a reporter seeks to *verify* (determine the *truth*) of
the claim that "icniuhtli" literally means "one that gives me
happiness", the black-and-white answer is "no".

   However, people who get only the black-and-white version of
truth and the interaction between language and the world and our
societies get a cartoon about reality -- a stick figure
representation, but hardly one that you would prefer in all
circumstances to a shades-of-gray photograph or a
gigabytes-rich-color one.

   Setting aside the sober, objective "facts" that we find in
dictionaries or that we get from language community members in
answer to requests for short equivalences in meaning, it is
possible for one community to branch off in their use of a word and
adopt it for a different meaning.  In fact, I imagine that
something analogous to this (i.e., using a combination of novel
elements to replace an old one for a particular meaning) happened
when "tzontecomatl" encroached on the usage territory of "cua:itl".
Some member of the community decided that "tzon(tli)-tecomatl"
('hair-gourd') was more descriptive than the simple label "cua:itl"
('head') or more cute or mod.  So did the people that he spoke to
-- and lexical change took place, leaving "cua:itl" out of
independent use in sentences, but still embedded in many words
which continue to be used (cuacuahueh, bovine; tlacuaatequiah,
they baptize; cuacaxtic, shaped like a bowl in top;
ninocuachalania, I knock myself on the head, etc.)

   But this involves an unradical change involving a word and its
referent.  If I understand the "friend" / "happiness" example
correctly, the innovation consists of taking a word which refers to
a notion which is subjectively *associated* with another notion and
transferring the label.  I highly admire the motivation for doing
this, since it involves the attempt to improve the values of
children.  When those children become adults, the people who deal
with them will benefit from the society that they swim in.

   To bring my tlahtolmecayotl to an end, my main point is simply
that we should recognize the innovation as linguistically very
unusual -- and as leaving the Nahuatl language unchanged.  When
people ask about a word in **Nahuatl**, they want to know about
conventional associations of words and meanings.  --And the point
under discussion might well be mentioned as a footnote.

Yotlan,

Joe