translation

Susana Moraleda-Dragotto susana at DRAGOTTO.COM
Wed Jun 23 23:22:33 UTC 2004

Re: translationThank you all for your comments. That was surely useful and enlightening.
    However I was wondering, if green is XOXOCTIC, why is "green place" XOPAN and not XOXOPAN? or XOXOCPAN? What part of the word is the removable one? I imagined it would be "TIC". (chichilTIC, cozTIC, nexTIC, tlilTIC) Or else, is XOXO in XOXOCTIC already a duplication? so the real word would be XOCTIC? Sorry, I'm confused.

    As for the source, actually Mike Swanton made the correct guess: it is part of Castaneda's mythology, and more precisely to Carol Tiggs' (one of the other two modern "shamans"). The piece is supposed to be pronounced at the entrance of the Catedral de Tula in order to get into an altered state of consciousness, (I respect Castaneda, and I don't feel I am in a position to judge anything)...

    Xoxopanxoco is supposed to be a personage known as the "retador de la muerte"......  but this is all too complicated...

    By the way, why does "cuicanitl" have an absolutive suffix? I thought agentives didn't.

    Susana