Cuacha

Joanna M. Sanchez cihuatl at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri May 28 17:39:19 UTC 2004

    It is certainly not unthinkable that a convergence between an original
Nahuatl compound and an introduced term could have occurred over time by
virtue of strong phonological and semantic similarity.  And the widely
reported cha- is perhaps a shift from xo-/zo- owing to stress on the
following -lo- syllable.  But  I still cannot help but think that
cuach[a/o]lote is derived from Nahuatl, with possible etymologies being:

   cua(i)tl + xolotl   or   cua(i)tl + zoloa

    Rather than reflecting an unhealthy indulgence of exoticism, an
hypothesis of Nahua origin is reasonable for a number of reasons, not the
least of which is the productivity of cua(i)tl when referring to one's
sensibility (or lack thereof).  Being dirty certainly had 'moral'
connotations for the Nahua, a condition bearing on an individual's
sensibility.  'Naturally' enough, terms for crazy or confused use cua(itl):
cuatlapololiztli (madness) combines "head" with "lose; destroy."  Yet more
notably, cua(i)tl is used in cuatatapah, "disheveled person," with
tatapahtli being "worn out fabric."

      Xolotl is also used in a variety of compounds (axolotl, mexolotl,
xolochaui ), that can mean "doubled over; wrinkled" in a sense that implies
physical deformity or dissaray, as precolumbian images of a ragged and
deformed Xolotl bear out.  Xolotl had a canine identity, and dogs were
strongly associated with filth. This seems consistent with the modern
meanings reported (dirty/disheveled).  Further, xolopihtli (idiot; tonto)
reinforces a reported semantic value, namely one untalented in either deed
or appearance.

    Zoloa, "wear something out," and ihzoloa, "abase, mistreat," are words
that can also be associated with Nahua conceptions of 'filth' (according to
Burkhart's examination of tlahzolli, "garbage") by referring to matter that
has lost its ordered structure.

           In any event, the word is widely used in Nahua regions of
Jalisco, in addition to Mexico City and points north, further supportive of
an indigenous origin.  Joanna