Image permissions/copyright

Caroline Dodds ced44 at CAM.AC.UK
Mon Aug 15 08:23:39 UTC 2005

Re: Image permissions/copyrightThanks so much to everyone who has taken the time to think about my question. I am very grateful for all the advice offered - it is really much appreciated. And also apologies for sending a message intended only for Max to the entire list!

Just to contribute slightly to the debate - from my recent experience, I think that it is usually the libraries who claim copyright, but when I looked at the UC website you are now able to request copyright permissions for pages from their publications (including the Mendoza) online, so I presume that they are claiming the right to the four volume facsimile content. It is possible, of course, that they have come to an agreement with the Bodleian to that effect.

And thinking about Susan's question - I think I am right in saying that a friend avoided a number of copyright permissions by creating his own line-drawings of images. If an image has been redrawn or modified in some way, I think that measure of whether you need permission is whether it is 'substantially' the same as the original. I just wondered whether, if you were prepared to draw your own version, if that might be a feasible solution, but it may still need permission, these things really seem to vary!

Thanks to all again.
Yours,
Caroline
-----
Dr. Caroline Dodds
Junior Research Fellow
Sidney Sussex College
CB2 3HU

ced44 at cam.ac.uk

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: José Rabasa
  To: NAHUAT-L at LISTS.UMN.EDU
  Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2005 5:49 PM
  Subject: Re: Image permissions/copyright

  Dear Caroline and Max:

  It is my impression that the days when publishers gave permission are over, given that libraries claim rights. This was for instance the case with a request to use images from the UC Berkeley edition of the Mendoza; they just sent me to the Bodleyian. Having said this, Caroline, you may as well try Max's recommendation first. It might work.  I am currently waiting for authorization to use a reproduction of a a page from  the facsimile of the Florentine Codex. Who has the rights? The photographer, the publisher or the  Biblioteca Medicea Laurenziana?  I have the impression that we had this discussion before and that the general opinion was that it is the libraries who hold the rights. Unfortunately, I might add. But this is not the place for nationalist rant.

  Jose

    Dear Caroline,

    In my Aztecs, Moors, and Christians (2000), I used images from the
    Codex Borbonicus, ed. Karl Nowotny (1974), courtesy of Akademische
    Druck-u. Verlagsanstalt; the Florentine Codex, 13 vols., ed. and
    trans. Anderson and Dribble (1950-1982), courtesy of the University of
    Utah Press and the School of American Research; and the Codice Aubin
    [Historia de la nacion mexicana, ed. and trans. Charles Dibble
    (1963)], courtesy of Editorial Porrua. None of these publishers asked
    for anything more than the proper acknowledgment.

    Best wishes,

    Max Harris