Chimalpahin

Henry Kammler h.kammler at EM.UNI-FRANKFURT.DE
Thu May 26 23:50:44 UTC 2005

Hola,

if |cecenteotlatoca| is derived from /tla'toa/ it would rather translate as
"had talked in reference to their respective gods" (or?)
"god talk" would be /teotlatolli/ with root-final /l/ = *|cecenteotlatolca|
"each by god talk", I guess.

Regarding short incorporated nominal roots:
compare the following forms:
/o'tlatoka/ = "follow a path"  < /o' -tli/
/âtlakwi/ = "fetch water"  <  /â -tl/

To me this looks like the indefinite object prefix /tla-/ is inserted,
rather than /tla/ derived from /-tl(i)/. We also find a reduplicated form
/âtlatlakwi/ (cf. Seler's glossary) "fetch lots of water" ("fetch
repeatedly"?) which seems to support this. *If* this is the same /tla/, I'm
not sure.

I think Galen touched upon an important issue: by what processes of
analysis do we establish our categories (say, "word classes")? Lacking
alternatives, we do use "traditional" terms rooted in Latin grammar writing
and established through a long genealogy of Nahuatl scholars. While doing
so, we should be aware that these terms *may be* crutches rather than
devices of analysis. As useful as our terminology is, it might blur our
sight for unexpected phenomena. I wonder in what terms we would talk about
Nahuatl if it were among the Papuan languages "discovered" 30-40 years ago...

Mâ niwîya
Henry Kammler
Univ. of Frankfurt